• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Mead Free or Die

Barrel Char Wood Products

gr8nhbrewer

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 17, 2007
Mead Free or Die is now an international mead only competition for both amateurs and professional mead makers. Taking place on August 16 & 17th in Nashua New Hampshire. Both competitions are registered with the BJCP and we will be judged using the BJCP style guidelines.

Here's the 2011 winners, 2010 winners, and 2009 winners competition!

The home competition is structured to award medals for each of the BJCP Mead subcategories, and best of show, and a club of the year, a total of 29 awards. The professional competition is geared in a similar fashion, but will reward meadery of the year, to the meadery earning the most medals.

The proceeds from this competition are going to help fund the American Mead Makers Association efforts to improve the rules around the formulations, and labeling requirements.

This years competition will be held at the Radisson Hotel in Nashua NH, where we have secured a block of rooms at $98 per night.

Our first year we had entrants from 18 states with a total of 168 entries, meaning that our goal to join the growing list of other Mead Only competitions has been reached! Having given away thousands of dollars in prizes. We strive to provide you a place where your mead will be evaluated by judges who can provide you with valuable information on how to improve your mead making skills.

This competition will be organized by Moonlight Meadery and Sap House Meadery, both organizations are doing this to help the industry, and will not have entries in the running. New Hampshire has more meaderies per capita than any other state in the nation!

See more at: www.meadfreeordie.com

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
This is a great competition and all you home meadmakers out there with something good to enter should fire those off. Mike and Ash are great guys and you'll definitely get a a fair shake in this competition if you enter.

I planned on judging this year but my schedule didn't lend itself to being there. Please support this competition as the proceeds will be going to a great cause and to help the mead industry take root and flourish here in the USA!

Pete "Oskaar" Bakulic

paraordnance

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 16, 2011
I'm definitely entering my Mazer Cup 2014 winners and some more, since there is no restrictions on how many you enter.

WVMJack

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 12, 2013
Karnage, WV
www.wvmjack.com
Why is the purpose of the rule about not using brew on premise equipment? We made a bochet at our local brew your own place in their huge kettle, no way we could do that much at home, as long as the brewers did everything themselves and no "professionals" touched the product I cant see why people using a brew on premise should be excluded from any comp??? If you want to include as many people in mead making I think a rule that limits participation by people who might not have the room or equipment at home is kind of the opposite of your goals to get more people to make mead. WVMJ

Esys

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 16, 2013
New Jersey
sites.google.com
So, what is the best way for one to mail a bottle of mead?

Very carefully.

Wrap the bottle in bubble wrap, place in a box twice the size of the bottle that's also lined with bubble wrap, and pad with newspaper or plastic grocer's bags. Make sure the bottle isn't touching the sides of the box. Before sealing it up, give the box a shake. If the bottle shifts, add more padding material. Top with another sheet of bubble wrap, and tape up.

Also ship UPS or FedEx. AFAIK, it's illegal to ship alcohol by US postal.

fcastle1

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 31, 2013
Hartland Michigan
Very carefully.

Wrap the bottle in bubble wrap, place in a box twice the size of the bottle that's also lined with bubble wrap, and pad with newspaper or plastic grocer's bags. Make sure the bottle isn't touching the sides of the box. Before sealing it up, give the box a shake. If the bottle shifts, add more padding material. Top with another sheet of bubble wrap, and tape up.

Also ship UPS or FedEx. AFAIK, it's illegal to ship alcohol by US postal.

Thanks Esys. What about temp? I know it gets kinda hot on the trucks.

sdrilling

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 29, 2013
Midwest USA
WVM -- great point. Was there ever an answer to this question?????

-- Our local Brew On Premise location is sponsoring the new Missouri Mead Making group. The group will be able to use the equipment for free and purchase their supplies at a great discount. This is a great way to introduce people to the hobby and to share methods and techniques.

I don't think it is that much different from a local brew club who collectively owns equipment.

So -- does the rule also exclude those who use collectively owned club brew equipment?

male

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Sep 30, 2008
Poland,Jelenia Góra
I'm very happy.I entered 2 meads and I won gold in Open Category and silver in Other Melomel !!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

WVMJack

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 12, 2013
Karnage, WV
www.wvmjack.com
No I never got an answer. We like to support our local brew your own place, they do so much to help anyone who comes in their door and I dont have some of the equipment that they have like their huge kettles. I think its only important whose hands did the work, the meadmaker making it should do all the work, why would it matter where, and since they want to promote meadmaking excluding anyone from participation defeats the purpose. WVMJ

WVM -- great point. Was there ever an answer to this question?????

-- Our local Brew On Premise location is sponsoring the new Missouri Mead Making group. The group will be able to use the equipment for free and purchase their supplies at a great discount. This is a great way to introduce people to the hobby and to share methods and techniques.

I don't think it is that much different from a local brew club who collectively owns equipment.

So -- does the rule also exclude those who use collectively owned club brew equipment?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns