• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

2006 Michigan Renaissance Festival ?

Barrel Char Wood Products

GrantLee63

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2006
Clarkston, MI
Is anyone on this forum planning on going to the Michigan Renaissance Festival this year? I've lived a hop, skip, and a jump from Holly, MI all my life and have NEVER gone !!!!! I'm thinking of going this year now that I'm a mazer - go figure ;D .....

kace069

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2004
Grantlee63,
I used to go religiuosly!
But I haven't gone in a few years now.
I really want to go SCA. Thats the real deal!
But If you want to go and meet I will go for sure.
The renfest, or if you go to much in costume, you become a Renny is fun for a while. But i really, personally need to expand my horizons and meet ppl who are really in for it for the cause!
I have lots of friends who like to go, we could have a lot of fun at the main guiness pub! Good music there.
If we can get some more GMer's there that would be really cool!
We have months to plan so keep this thread alive if you want to hang out.

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
I went to my first Ren Faire there, way back in the early 80's.....

I still go to the Maryland Faire and the Carolina Faire. And I go to SCA events around here, and to Pennsic. I think they're both a lot of fun, and different experiences. Going to faire is like a period bar. SCA events are more like a family reunion with swords, except for Pennsic, which is pretty much the biggest party/shopping/war/entertainment event I've ever attended.

I'm going to Maryland Labor Day weekend for the Faire, 2 weeks after Pennsic, LOL.

GrantLee63

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2006
Clarkston, MI
Well kace069, I am definitely planning on going - although at this point, I'm not certain which day it will be. I'll keep you posted as I would love to meet you and any other fellow GotMead.Com forum members.

I'm not into the costume thing myself, although I do have most of the attire I need to be a Civil War private ( I used to be a member of the 24th Michigan Volunteer Infantry - never participated in a reenactment, but thought I would one day ).

My primary reason for going is to sample the meads they have, and to buy a historically correct drinking vessel, horn, goblet or whatever ....

Looking forward to it !

kace069

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2004
Well there isn't much of a mead selection there. They used to only serve Chaucers. The last time I was there and bought mead I watched them pour it from a bag-in box of mead. This was prolly 3 years ago. My wife went last year and told me that they were serving another mead but she didn't catch the name of it.
Also you have to find the best deal. I have been at the faire and was served about 3oz of mead for $4 and then walk across the grounds and got a 6oz glass of mead for $4.
I'm not sure where you live here in MI Grantlee63. But I could start making suggestions as to where to start looking for some mead.
I know of more than a few places to purchase mead. Most are quite a drive for me. Just google my zip and you will see... 48453.
I can show you pic's of the amish expressway past my house.

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
I grew up in the Lake Orion area, and didn't actually go to the Michigan Renaissance Festival until after I moved to the west side of the state. ...go figure.

I go frequently - often in costume.

This year I plan to go, but don't yet know when.

Last year they served Oliver Winery's Camelot mead - the bottle had obviously been sitting out in the sun... ick...

To the Rennies out there, I'll be at the Derbyshire Ren Faire this comming weekend at the Muskegon County Fair grounds, doing a demo of Joe's Ancient Orange.

David

kace069

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2004
So there is another fair. I have heard over the years about one in Kalamazoo, but everytime I am told about it the person informing me knows nothing about it except that they have one.

GrantLee63

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2006
Clarkston, MI
Kace069 - Well I live in the Hometown of Henry Ford - Dearborn - and work about 35 miles north of there in Auburn Hills, MI at DaimlerChrysler. Holly is about 15 miles north of Auburn Hills .....

kace069

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2004
Holly is about an hour away from me, maybe farther, haven't been there since I moved here.

mouko_yamamoto

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 21, 2005
Anyone ever heard of Axel the Sot? I saw him year before last at the Bristol (WI) Ren Faire, but he's at a different one: The Great Lakes Medieval Faire (Ohio) to be specific. If you go to that one, be sure to check his show out.

Consul

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 8, 2005
If you do go, be sure to check out Djilia Phralengo. They play some incredible music. And if you do see them, please tell Ernesto that Darren says "hi." ;D

Unfortunately, I can't make it this year.

kace069

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2004
Well I thought I would resurface this thread since the fair starts this weekend I think, the one in Holly that is. I will be going on 8/26 if anyone is interested in going that weekend.
I won't be hard to spot, I'm 6'5", thin and will be wearing some GM gear. Most likely I will be easily found at the big Guinees pub. I love the live music.

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Kace,

It doesn't look like I'll make it there this year. Could you find out which brand of commercial mead they are selling there this year?

An inquiring mind wants to know...

Last year they were selling Oliver Winery Camelot Mead. The bottle had sat in the sun WAY too long... ick...

David

kace069

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2004
Oh yeah I will defenitely be watching what brands are being sold. Last time I was there they were selling 2 or 3 different brands. It just depended on what stand you bought your mead at.

GrantLee63

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2006
Clarkston, MI
Well Kace069, I am definitely planning on going there, although next weekend is out of the question for me. Hopefully we can hook-up one of these days .....

kace069

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2004
Well it looks like Rabbitsfoot Meadry was the only mead being sold there. I'm guessing there was some kind of contract agreement. The bottle labels had a 2006 Renfest label and had to turn the bottle to the back to find out who produced it. Of course all the people who were serving thought it was the festivels own mead. I went to several places and it was all the same. At $5 a glass I wasn't very pleased. This was my first taste of Rabbitsfoot mead and I really didn't care for it. I have had a few of my own recipies that ended up tasting like this mead and I haven't repeated them.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns