• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

How is the '06 crop coming?

Barrel Char Wood Products

kace069

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2004
Sounds like you had a hell of a 1st year David. Don't give up!
This is the first year I didn't lose my queen in my backyard colony and I'm not sure why I was losing them. But that colony, the one in the photos produced 101# and are still bringing it in.
As for my splits one has a nearly full super and the other hasn't really progressed on the foundation like I had hoped but with a freshly extracted super on them now, hopefully they will be inspired.I think they are going to over winter and that is more important to me than getting any honey. I think I will requeen in the spring. I am hoping to bring in another 1003 before the end of the season. My goal for this year was 3003 but I can live with 200.

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
beeboy,

That's exactly what I did with the swarm I caught. I think that the queen probably was injured or killed when I shook the swarm off the branch into the box I used to move them to the hive.

It's been a great year learning what to do and what to NOT do.

I'm having a hard time keeping out of the honey this year. The bits I've been able to sample were wonderful. The flavor is warm, floral, and spicy. It would make a fabulous mead.

David

T

The Honey Farmer

Hey David Baldwin,
A public *Thank You*? I'm flattered! I'm honored that you listen to me. I've enjoyed every email and phone call and hope to someday sit down with you and enjoy a glass or a bottle of mead and some good bee stories.

Bee cool, Dennis

Dahole

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jul 30, 2006
Hey guys,

Sorry to hear of all the troubles some of you have had. I have to say that I have been there in the past while I was learning. This year is my best year ever. The second week of July I pulled off 450lbs of capped honey. I put the boxes back on to have them cleaned up and failed to get back to them for about 6 days due to a small time/work issue. When I went back they had already started to fill them back up. I expect to pull off about 300 - 550lbs more in about two weeks.

If I can help answer a question let me know.

PS. Have 6 hives that are making honey for me this year.

kace069

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2004
6 colonies.. Hopefully that will be me next year. %%)lb I really hope that will be me next year. My splits are not doing great but my colony in my backyard is doing great. I have already pulled 101# off of it and I would guess that there may be another 60# waiting for me. Haven't seen my splits in a few weeks but last time I was there I would guess about 40 more. My goal was 300# this year but if I hit 200 I will be happy. Last year was my first harvest, I got 35#. So I am already a lot happier.
Just a couple of more weeks and I think it will be safe for mead production. My basement is still holding at about 76 degrees.

beeboy

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 29, 2004
Port Orange, Florida, USA
Just finished my second extraction from my hives and only got 60 lbs of honey which gives a total of 130 lbs this year. Guess that is not that bad since the hives are newly set up this spring. There is more honey on the hives but I want to leave some for the winter. Been dealing with two queen failures so the hives didn't build up as fast as they should. Still not a bad year so far, need to deal with the small hive beetle next couple of weeks and shrink the hives down for fall.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns