• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Well, this sucks

Barrel Char Wood Products

--SEmper

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 28, 2006
Good side and a bad side...

I'm working in an IT company of about 100 people. Just last week I got promoted from Alpha Tester to 1st Tier Customer support. With a nice 25% increase in salary and a good chance for travelling to the US on bussiness trips. Got a company laptop and am allowed to work from home. So all pretty nice.

Yesterday: "We have to restructure to maintain operatibility..." meaning: about 40 people out of 100 got laid off. I'm lucky I keep my job. But people who are working here since the beginning (5 yrs) got fired. Including one that I was working with for 1.5 years, we were the only two frontend alpha testers. Instead the company keeps the new (inexperienced) tester, that replaced me a week ago... Ununderstandable.

I had a small office with 6 other people (including the tester), only one left after the cutoff. That hit me hard... I was lucky to have just switched positions, as Customer Support will be now done from Poland (for US), so our department is the only one actually growing instead of being cut.

The company did try everything to avoid it, and people at the top took paycuts. Even some took a voluntary 3 month leave from work, to keep money flowing.

I'm very glad for my job! I don't speak Polish, so finding a new job could be very hard for me. But it still sucks bigtime to have colleagues/friends loose their job.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns