• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

ALL READ: SUBSCRIBER CHALLENGE - We need funding

Barrel Char Wood Products

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Woo hoo! Welcome Akueck!! Now that you're a patron make sure to dig into the Patrons' Section for additional cool information about meadmaking.

We're putting up new posts and specialty mead making information and resources in that area that is not available to the non-Patrons of Gotmead.com.

Cheers,

Oskaar

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
I was supposed to pack today, but instead I spent all my time reading St Winston's and all of the patron's posts. :icon_study: Oops. I think I might need a 12-step plan to get ready for my honeymoon...where there will be no internet. I hope my mead will be ok. ;D Or, I mean, woohooo! vacation! and other stuff... >:D who needs internet??

"See" you in October!

Aaron
(who finally has the batchelor party smell washed off... :eek:ccasion16: )

Maelduin

NewBee
Registered Member
May 3, 2006
*BUSTED*

OK, so this is my 66th post on Gotmead. Just back from Amazon, Vicky. Signed up for a year.

Regards,

Maelduin

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Welcome to the ranks of patron, Maelduin! I am just sending you your welcome letter. Enjoy. You'll probably kill part of a day reading St. Winstons like I did. See if you can figure out who the characters are here on GM. I figured out *some* of them....

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
:wav:

...And the latest additions....::drum roll::

Strix_Varia and Syrinx! Welcome to the ranks of GM patrons!

Thanks to David Baldwin and Kace for extending their subscriptions! You guys are great!

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
THE OVER 50 POS BUT NOT A SUBSRIBER LIST - IS YOUR NAME HERE?

OK,

So Vicky is probably going to freak out when I post this but, as I like to say, forgiveness is easier to ask for than permission. So, here's the list of people that have over 50 posts, and have not yet joined. If your name is on the list in error I apologize in advance and shall remove it immediately upon notification from you.

Otherwise, here's the listing of those prolific posters who have not yet joined.

abejita
Aggie4You
ancjr
beeboy
Brewbear
briankettering
buzzardwhiskey
CheshireCat
Consul
CosmicCharlie
davarm
Derf
dogglebe
edacsac
exmoor_cat
Fortuna_Wolf
Fwee
Geoffrey Johnson
GntlKnght
Gonzo
Hidalgo
HomeBrew
IdahoSkunk
intothefray
JamesB
JoeM
Johnnybladers
kash
Lagerman64
MacLupine
Marion
mavityre
Meriadoc
Mu
Norskersword
palecricket1
Pawn
Riadfodig
Rurouni85Samurai
ScottS
scout
Skinner
Summersolstice
Suzy_Q_Brewmistres
Sveinne
Talon
teucer
toolboxdiver
Tylor!!
Val
WikdWaze

Peer pressure is always a good thing in my book! LOL

Vicky, adAPOLOGIESvance,

Oskaar

insanity

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 20, 2006
Although I recognize a few names on the list, does the list take into account how active they are on the site. In the several months I’ve been at the site, there are several names that I’ve never seen log on. I guess they could be visitors now? But realistically, their inactivity to the site may be little more than asking for money from a ghost contingency. In simple terms, the pool of people that have posted more than 50 times may not be that extensive.

I agree with some of the other patrons - by sending additional donations to Vicky to help offset the costs. I sent a small donation by mail Monday. I only bring it up because if we as patrons sit back and wait for registered users to become patrons, the goal of keeping the site alive may fail. With that in mind, the patrons are a logical choice for supporting funds as well.

T

The Honey Farmer

Nice list Oskaar,
I say, " If you want to play, you gotta pay " It's not fair to Vicky or to a handful of subscribers to buy a ticket for everyone else. So come on people, get off your wallets and help out the site like the site has helped you! :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

Dennis

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Thanks, gentleman! I appreciate the acknowledgement, and the comments.

I am hoping that our fund drive, and all the great folks, both regulars and new folks, who have subscribed, extended their subscriptions, and who have encouraged, cajoled, or bullied their friends into doing it too will set an example for those who are *also* here pretty regularly, but may not be prolific posters.

We get from 75,000 to over 100,000 unique visitors to Gotmead every month. So, there are quite a few folks who visit, and might just use this as an info-gathering tool, and never really post. Nevertheless, they keep coming back.

Still, if that is you, then perhaps you might consider subscribing, both for the additional info like the AMA articles, which are patron only and the patron-only forum boards. Plus, we've several other patron-only tools and information resources in the works that will debut later this year (God willin' and I can clone myself a couple of times so I have the girlpower, LOL).

So, keep encouraging others who use this resource. And remember, you're supporting the site you use. Keeping it online is totally up to the visitors to the site.

Thanks again to all those who have subscribed this week, and over the last year. You've helped enormously!

Vicky - juggling about 12 balls today, and stopping for a second to post, and look at the cool winery pix Oskaar sent me

Tsuchi

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 28, 2004
www.earthworks-design.com
Is there anyone who knows those on the list that could personaly give them a nudge or let them know whats going on. I'm not encouraging mass e-mails...But..

Personaly I am an INfrequent flyer. Glad to help when needed, but I do have a love it and leave it relationship with my computer and the internet. It was pure chance that I coughed up prior to the main drive, It had crossed my mind but i just hadn't gotten to it.

Just a thought,
Tsuchi.

ps. Gang up nicely on you buddies

Muirghein Tarot

NewBee
Registered Member
May 28, 2006
If your name is on the list in error I apologize in advance

How about those of us who's name is not on the list by error?

I feel so over looked. :protest:

I may not meet the subscribers challenge date as for the next two weeks that 25 bucks might just be the gas money that gets me to work. But my subscription will me sent out as soon as I can swing a few dollars free. I apologize it's been a bad decade so far. :sad7:

Tarot. :icon_pirat:

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Dude, I feel your pain. Thats why I have to push for subscribers. I'm self-employed as a web designer, and go months without any significant income to speak of. It tends to be a little money-no money situation for me.

I kind of go by the 'if you can afford to buy honey for mead, you can afford to subscribe if you hang out here' philosophy.

I tend to be broke as hell most of the time, but if I scrimp for several of my hubby's paychecks on other things, I usually manage to come up with the cash we need to go to civil war shoots, we just give up something else. Lately, that's been any money I might have for meadmaking. I defer to the family hobby vs. my personal hobby.

I have a spreadsheet budget that I check every day (sometimes several times a day) to see where I need to juggle this cycle. Its been like that for over 2 years, but I'm used to it now.

In the interest of the budget, I have given up renaissance festivals except for our family outing to Maryland once a year (which we saved for several paychecks to have cash for), I've given up making mead, except for a batch or 2 a year, 'cause honey is expensive and meadmaking isn't a family hobby. I've given up new clothes (haven't bought more than the occasional pair of jeans for 2 years), am selling most of my garb for fairs and any new stuff I need I make myself now from a stash of fabric I have from when I *did* have money years ago. But every entertainment we have as a family, I plan for months in advance and save pennies here and there to put aside. It's tedious as heck, but hey, its that or don't go, so I do it.

I get to go to Pennsic because my hubby graciously allows me to squeeze the $500 it costs for everything out of a couple months worth of *his* paychecks. I get to go the Mead Festival because I usually manage to find a Frequent Flyer ticket somewhere, get a free room because I judge, and get free tickets because I work. So, all I have to do is feed myself, and I save for months before to have that money. Last year I never left the hotel while I was there, to save gas. Now that its in Denver, I won't have to figure out a car, I can just shuttle to the hotel (thank goodness).

For the last 3 years, every penny of profit (and quite a bit of personal cash) from my website business has gone into building up Gotmead, so I don't collect any money from my own business, just live of my hubby (who has been *very* patient with this money pit...LOL).

So, believe me, I feel your pain, I really do.

Vicky - doing surveys to earn frequent flyer points for February

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Please welcome kwatt to the ranks of patron!!!!

Kwatt has just 9 posts. And several of the new folks over the last couple months have signed up without *any* posts, a few that didn't even have accounts yet, they just paid up right from the start.

I'm very grateful to these people for giving Gotmead the benefit of the doubt that the site will be worth their while.

Thanks all who have signed up this Challenge, and all the people that signed up since we started the subscription porgram, you've kept Gotmead.com online.

Thanks. A lot.

storm1969

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 13, 2005
Columbia, MD
Sorry I took so long. I've had a bit of family emergency and haven't been on the site much. I just sent you 2 Payments via amazon. Please don't count it as renewal. when mine comes up again sometime next year I will renew it then. and if you need more next week let me know. I can probably swing two more.

Love the site.

Sorry I missed you at the MD Ren. Fair this year. Maybe next year.

Brian

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Hey Brian! Thanks *so* much!!!! :icon_thumleft:

It's patrons like you that keep this dump going, LOL. I appreciate the donation, and will find some *other* way of rewarding you for your generosity, since you won't take a renewal......

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Re: ALL READ: SUBSCRIBER CHALLENGE - Welcome norsebill and DKeen111253!!!!

:cheers:

Welcome our latest members, new both to Gotmead and to the Patron ranks: norsebill and DKeen111253.

Welcome to Gotmead, and thanks a heap for subscribing! Your contribution goes to keep Gotmead online, and help us continue to expand the site and add lots of new mead content for everyone.

Vicky - just back from a weekend camping with my family

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
ALL READ: SUBSCRIBER CHALLENGE - We need funding - BUMP

Bump.

Just 7 more to go. Come on people. Let's pony up and find the $25 keep this site rolling.

Why? Well that's simple. I am sitting here drinking a mead from a recipe I got right here on GM. Delicious! Worth $25 though? Absolutely. I have learned how to make mead, some beer, and now some wines from this site. Troubleshooting. Recipes. Advice. Camaraderie. I will also add that I got a private chat with Oskaar a few months ago, and believe me when I tell you that the info I gleaned from his experience was a tremendous help to this budding mazer. Trust me when I say that his offer for 1 hour of personal time is worth it's weight in Orange Blossom.

Hell, to me this site is worth $50. And I will stand by that statement!!!

So join us. Support the site. Become a Patron TODAY.

GrantLee63

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2006
Clarkston, MI
I made my first batch of mead on February 18, 2006. I followed the Papazian 'Antipodal' mead recipe found in his 'The Complete Joy of Homebrewing' book. It was the same mead that I sampled back in January of 2006, and gave me the inspiration to "try a batch".

On February 19, I found this site. Since that time, I have made 11 additional 5 or 6 gallon batches:

- Joe's Ancient Orange
- Joe's No-Age Sweet
- Tri-Berry Melomel
- Joe's No-Age Sweet (batch #2)
- Holiday Cyser
- White Grape Pyment
- Acerglyn
- Vanilla Mead
- Joe's No-Age Sweet (batch #3!)
- Basic Braggot
- Blueberry Melomel

EACH AND EVERY ONE of these recipes were found on this site. Invaluable information was provided to me by members of this site to ensure the batches I made came out like they are supposed to. To say that I could have had the success I've had as a rookie meadmaker without this site would be the understatement of the year!!!

Recently, I got into All-Grain Beer Brewing and would'nt you know it .... I'm getting OUTSTANDING information and feedback for that as well! MAN!!!!!!!!!! It just never stops here at GM!!!!! :cheers:

This is a GREAT site by any measure! The 25 bux a year it costs to become a Patron in order to keep it up and running, is a very small price to pay for the amount of knowledge you get in exchange.

THANK YOU VICKY ROWE! :notworthy: THANK YOU OSKAAR! :notworthy: THANK YOU WRATHWILDE! :notworthy: THANK YOU DAN MCFEELEY :notworthy: THANK YOU ANGUS! :notworthy: THANK YOU KACE069! :notworthy: THANK YOU PEWTER_OF_DEODAR! :notworthy: THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE PROVIDED ME WITH FEEDBACK ON MY POSTS! :notworthy:

But most importantly of all ....

A GREAT BIG THANK YOU TO ALL THE PATRONS OF THIS SITE FOR WITHOUT YOUR UNSELFISH FINANCIAL CONTRIBUTIONS, NONE OF THIS WOULD BE POSSIBLE !!!!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

OK. Back to sipping some of my (still young - but good) vanilla mead ..... - GL63

kace069

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2004
How much mead will $25 buy you?
Well commercial meads 2 bottles if your lucky, more like 1 bottle and some change. Not much more than a 1/4 gallon.

How much mead can you make for $25 after you invest in keeping this site on the web?

Gallons of custom made mead! :sign13:

That is always improving!

Sure you have to put out some dough for equipment, but if you think about how much a bottle of mead costs your first batch will pay for itself at least 2 fold. If you start by making 1 gallon batches which is super cheap to get into, Look at the cost comparison at the start of my post. You will pay $25 for a quart of mead, why not pay $25 dollars for an ounce of knowledge and make a gallon of mead for less than $5?

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Re: ALL READ: SUBSCRIBER CHALLENGE - Welcome Johnnybladers!

Gosh, such glowing reviews! LOL. Thanks guys, I really appreciate it, and am glad the site helped. Keep watching, I'm working on lots of new articles, recipes and reviews.

Please welcome Johnnybladers to Patrons! Jon, thanks a lot for signing up, you get us one closer to being solvent!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns