• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Can you use clearing additives, like Super-Kleer in mead?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Tabard Inn Meadery

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 4, 2006
i am, unfortunately, beginning to become impatient and have already tasted my first batch of mead. i enjoy it just the way it tastes, and fermentation has come to a stand still. my question is...
can i use clearing additives to clear up my mead so i can bottle it?
the additive i bought (and was told i should be able to use) is called Super-Kleer.
it says that it is "2-Stage Euro-Finings for wine, beer, superyeast"
it uses the chemicals, "Kieselsol" and "Chitosan" to achieve its purpose. will this be okay for my mead? i am a little worried cause i don't want the whole carboy to go to waste. i also bought all the stuff required to bottle it, and would like to get that done (i only have 24 - 12oz bottles, so it'll just be a test run.) i plan on making some custom labels as well. this is my first foray, ever, into homebrewing and i'm very happy with the results.

Thanks in advance,
Tabard Inn Meadery
Master Brewer

P.S.: The Tabard Inn Meadery is just me and a bunch of my friends, we're not some big meadery, we're mostly in it for ourselves.

insanity

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 20, 2006
Super kleer is easy to use. I've just added it to the carboy and mixed it up. I've seen clearing after a few days but one time, it took a while.

I'm a bigger fan of using super-kleer and sparkloid. On one batch. I didn't get a substantial clearing until I moved the carboy into a fridge at 32 F. The combination of clearing agents with cooling the must is really effective.

JamesP

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 3, 2003
Brisbane Australia
Be aware that adding things to a must that is saturated with CO2 may cause the CO2 to come out or solution, resulting in your mead bubbling out of the carboy (or spraying the ceiling).

So first, degass the mead, or add your fining agents **very** carefully.

Fining the mead won't guarantee to stop the mead dropping further lees over time, but it certainly reduces it significantly.
If you want to really clear the mead and are impatient, then fine it and then filter it.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Great advice there from JamesP!

Degassing is very important when making additions, and is one of the things that I usually gloss over because I don't even think about it when I do it.

Thanks for pointing that out James!

Oskaar

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
I tend to only use a clearing agent as a last resort. If the mead does not clear on its own, then I shove it in the fridge for 1 to 2 weeks. This has almost always worked. The couple of times it did not, sparkaloid was used succesfully and with no residual taste.

Angus

Tabard Inn Meadery

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 4, 2006
thanks for all the input. i think im gonna give the Super-Kleer a shot, but i'll make sure i add it very carefully.
i can't wait to get some of this bottled, or at least try the finished product. i've been playing around with label designs the past few days with much success.

thanks again,
Tabard Inn Meadery
Master Brewer

Rhianni

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006
Tabard you mentioned that fermentation has stopped and you are wanting to bottle. Are you meaning that its still in the primary? I would strongly suggest to transfer to a secondary carboy. You will be amazed at how much more sediment will settle with more time and even when it looks clear there will be more.
If its in the primary. rack to the secondary THEN add the clearifying agent.

By starting over with no sediment at the bottom you will get a better idea over time at the rate at which it drops out. Right now with a lot its easy to see it all and think how much is already fallen to the bottom that surely there cant be more..... and there always is heh heh

dogglebe

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 14, 2003
hbd.org
Keep in mind that no clearing agent will work if the batch is still fermenting. It'll clear for a few days untiil the remaining yeast gets going again.

Phil

Blæinger

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 14, 2007
Although this is an older topic...

I will have to second putting your Mead/Wine in the fridge, or otherwise bringing the temperature down to about 45F. It has always worked well for me.

I have only added fining agents a handful of times, and only once coupled it with refrigeration... It did seem to clear faster, but that is by no means a guarantee.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns