• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

New Gotmead Feature: The Meadwench's Blog

Barrel Char Wood Products

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
For those that are interested, I'm posting my blog - click here and check the 'The Rest of the Story' menu to the left for a link there too.

This is just my ramblings, starting with an account of the International Mead Festival last month, including great pix from summersolstice and yancy.

I'll be adding observations, news tidbits, trip descriptions, new discoveries and other oddments for your amusement there.....

Vicky - really tired now, time to crash

Scott Horner

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Jun 14, 2005
Should be fun to get in the wenches head. Where did all this mead come from?

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Everybody. Commercial leftovers. Home competition leftovers. The Mead Fairy.

::giggling and running off to continue working on the *new* Honeywine.com::

Johnnybladers

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 13, 2006
Ken Schramm's "Heart of Darkness v2"? with a name like that my interest is piqued. The use of habenero(made contention with Mr Baldwin's winner?) also interests me. Any chance of more info on those two? Recipe in the patrons? Nudge Nudge. Sounds like an awesome time was had by many.

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
You'll find info on the 'Heart of Darkness' in "The Compleat Meadmaker, the V2 is his refinement. As to what he's done, you'll have to ask Ken. I can only say it was divine.

The habenero mead was the most interesting combination of sweet and hot I've ever had. I don't know who made it, so I can't help you there, but I can look into it and see if I can find out.

A great time *was* had by all, and I can't wait for next year!

Johnnybladers

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 13, 2006
Hmmm, since I can't find "Heart of Darkness" in TCMM, I wonder if it is perhaps a renamed version of the "Mambo in Your Mouth" multiberry melomel. Perhaps it contains the black currants that Mr Schramm mentions in a possible new version of this recipe.

The idea of habenero in a mead really sparked an interest when I first read about the use of peppers (also in TCMM) and for whatever reason buckwheat and oak entered my mind at the same time. Some of the many ideas that I haven't followed up on,.......yet.

I hope that you have an excellent time next year as well :cheers:
Thanks, Jon

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns