Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default A few questions on stopping fermentation

Or to start with a gravity that exceeds the yeasts tolerance, though there's less control this way. - but it's the method I prefer.
    Mae'r teithiau golau ceffyl eto

2. Default

yeah unless have strong yeast and make rocket fuel, so check yeast tolerance before use this method

I started a batch with 71B (12-14%) that had a potential of 16% and had it stop short (about 14%, 1.008 sg) which is where I wanted it. From my experience (limited at best), if all fermentables are added up front (not step fed), the yeast will stop in the neighborhood of their advertised abv. Just sayin.
    You may see the stars but still not see the light!

Storm1969 "when you know the rules, you are a tradesman, when you follow the rules you are a craftsman, when you know when to break the rules you are an artisan"!

There are many factors that can influence when yeast stop: nutrients, fermentation temp, quantity of yeast pitched, aeration, acidity, etc. If you treat your yeast well, there is a good chance they will ferment past their ABV. Treat them poorly and they may stop before the listed ABV. Since healthy yeasts = cleaner fermentation, I prefer to treat mine well. For this reason fermenting dry and backsweetening works best for me.
    "If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate." - Captain Zapp Brannigan

5. Question Hunger the yeast!

well, the question i have isbit different than others,

lets say if you want make very low alcoholic drink, usually wine yeast tolerance 12~16% abv

if you put like 7% sugar in start, what will happen to yeast? will they die from hunger or like ninjas keep staying there till more sugar come eventually and start over again?

Ninjas. But sleeping ninjas, who can wake up without warning.
    Best bet is, kill them in their sleep (KMeta) and cut their gonads off (sorbate)
    How to tell when they're sleeping? They all lie down together (yeast cake in the bottom of carboy)
    Mae'r teithiau golau ceffyl eto

7. Default

cool i gonna try this off to make lower abv melomel see how it goes.

i update how it goes.

cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by kudapucat View Post
    Ninjas. But sleeping ninjas, who can wake up without warning.
    Best bet is, kill them in their sleep (KMeta) and cut their gonads off (sorbate)
    How to tell when they're sleeping? They all lie down together (yeast cake in the bottom of carboy)

8. Unhappy hmm weird reaction to kmeta

ok as you mentioned i made my own campden/kmeta powder 1g/440mg Potassium metabisulfite,

my Pomegranate melomel is done dry about 9.5% abv

i had bit issue with clearing out too,

anyway i added to portion of my melomel to test it before add it to my gallon and tnx god i did that

look what happened when i add it to it
    some reaction happened its look like starch in lukewarm water thats best i can describe it!
    here is photo perhaps someone explain whats going on im super confused to the core
    right one is finished melomel left after added the compound!

to be clear, you mixed 440mg of potassium metabisulfate with 1 gram of potassium sorbate for the one gallon batch, then added some to the sample? how much did you add? much more than a pinch would probably be too much for what appears to be a small glass.
    It goes ding when there's stuff.

10. Default

i disolved it to lukewarm water then try to test it in with portion of my Pom melomel, result is what u c, funny part was it it change color or pom instantly!
    as soon it hit the surface of that glass on right it turn that color!.

i wonder now how am i suppose to back sweeten my melomel

The Boozevarian Village of Leavenworth WA

That is due to using a large amount of the K-Meta with a small amount of the melomel. I made a rhubarb melomel and when I added the K-Meta it bleached my sample, but I added it to my main batch and it did NOT bleach the entire batch. I even added it at twice the usual dose because of contamination and it still did not bleach my batch.
    Mazerotic Encephalopathic Affective Disorder (M.E.A.D.) - Gntlknigt1

12. Default

thanks EJ i gonna try it and pray it don't ruin it i like back sweet it for new year,
    i don't like lose that beautiful red color hmm i guess we will findout soon enough.

tnx fr help

The Boozevarian Village of Leavenworth WA

Double posted for some bizarre reason when I came back to the page.
    Mazerotic Encephalopathic Affective Disorder (M.E.A.D.) - Gntlknigt1

14. Unhappy my poor pom melomel

ok here is my 1 gallon batch, as u noticed i lost part of my batch due first racking

ok on left pic is that sample i add kmeta powder, on right 1 my pom melomel, color changes beyond obvious.
    i start added it to my batch, on right side you can see it lost that red color and turn to dark pink cloudy thingy

is it lost cause or i should let it be any hope my melomel batch
    w.o kemta all my stuff gonna stay dry and i hate dries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12