• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

honey layer at the bottom of my carboy

Barrel Char Wood Products

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Re: honey layer at the bottom of my carboy - Post moderated, split in two

OK, I split this post and put the second half in the Yeasties and Beasties Section.

OK, a couple of things. Use the forum search tool and look up margamel and read the entire thread. Agave is another naturally inhibitive natural product that is actually more serious than honey in it's inhibitive qualities. Agave nectar tends to be notoriously difficult to ferment.

What you're seeing in your carboy is probably stratification, that is, clearing of the must as fermentation slows. The yeast will tend to drop out of suspension as they have done their job. It is highly likely that you'll need to dose with nutrient and swirl to keep the yeast in suspension so the fermentation will be able to complete. Be prepared to pitch again with that concentration of agave. If you find that your fermentation goes very quickly, it is likely that your agave syrup was cut with corn syrup.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

hany

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 9, 2007
Oskaar

I totally freaked out when you suggested that my agave syrup might be cut with corn syrup. So I called the food coop in Bellingham where I got it and traced it back to Glory bee Foods, which is the same source recommended in the margamead thread. Phew !!! Sigh of relief !

I read the thread. While entertaining to read, I'm not sure I picked up on any profound wisdom there. Sure, it took a long time to finish fermenting, but I wouldn't bottle the mead before 1.5 to 2.5 years anyway.

I will, however, be sure to constantly stir, add nutrient and possibly yeast later on.

thanks again for the tips !

Hany

hany

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 9, 2007
Ok. Just got this product spec sheet from GloryBee:

Item #: 66-05065, 60, 58/C, 55/C
Date Issued: 02.19.07
Ingredients: Organic Agave Syrup from Agave salmiane
Physical Specification/Typical Analysis:
Color: Clear
Flavor: Neutral, Very Sweet
pH: 3.74 - 5.3
Moisture: 21.6 - 23.5%
Brix (Soluble Solids): 76.5 - 78.4%
Ash: 0.00 - 0.19%
Total Carbohydrates: 97.4 - 99.8%
Fructose: 70.5 - 74.5%
Dextrose: 20.5 - 26.5%
Others: 0.0 - 5.0%
Glycemic Index: 29.4 - 38.8

So my question is: what ingredient(s) or lack thereof, make this fermentation inhibitive ? Is it just simply the lack of nutrients ?

I actually added yeast energizer AND yeast nutrient, so maybe this explosive dose of nutrients is doing the trick for me.

Question: Is there such thing as adding TOO much nutrient ?

(Maybe my honey was cut with corn syrup and that explains the speed of fermentation....just kidding.)

hany

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 9, 2007
By the way,

I feel infinitely more at home here than in the beer brewing forums ! So glad to have found this place !

Thanks
H

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns