• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

2008 International Mead Festival

Barrel Char Wood Products

Rhianni

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006
I saw on the front page some info on meadfest 2008.

This question maybe a little early but will there be seminars presented like last year? I found all 4 of them to be educational and interesting.

Also we threatened but to my knowledge never did any group tastings to compare notes. I'd really like to do that this year.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Dude,

If I didn't say it before I'll say it now. Welcome back!

Anyhow, yes of course we'll have some pretty cool seminars next year, and I'll have another blowout in my room, or maybe an even larger venue on Friday night. We'll have to see how it turns out, but I hope to be able to expand it a bit this year. Suffice it to say that every flat surface (including the bathtub floor, the closet, the nightstands and the bathroom counter were occupied by empties and semi-empties. The maid came by the room and just looked at the empties I took outside and asked me "What am I supposed to do with all of these?" Vicky popped outside her room and with typical aplomb said "Better get some help and some more bags to hold the empties!" LOL

So "Lock your wigs, inflate your shoes, and follow the rubber line to your seat!"

MeadFest 2008 looms on the horizon calling to all comers!

Cheers,

Oskaar

zionpsyfer

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
May 17, 2007
Denver
Is this the one that was done in Lakewood Colorado this last year? If so, is it done there every year?

Rhianni

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 13, 2006
zionpsyfer said:
Is this the one that was done in Lakewood Colorado this last year? If so, is it done there every year?

Yep. Its amazing fun.

Oskaar. Yes we will need a bigger room lol. I recall it was so crammed that I went into the bathroom and there were empty bottles in the tub and on top of the toilet. Good times. I'm already making plans to attend

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Hey! If you run out of room at the hotel, our house is only 11.7 miles from there... but keep in mind that it is also 2200' higher in altitude!! Nevertheless, I have no problems with hosting some pre- or post- Fest activities, if anyone feels up to it that is!! :drunken_smilie:

zelthian

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 18, 2006
www.mythicmountain.com
My wife and I went for the first time last year (after we moved to the Denver area, of course). We had a great time, but between our first tasting and coming back for specific re-tastings, we had to walk down the street to the Red Lobster for some food. It helped, and we were able to drive home afterwards. :cheers:

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
You've gotta do a room, at least for the night between the event days, in order to do it right. I didn't reserve a room last year but we will for this coming Fest. We're lucky; our kids are old enough to "watch themselves" for a night if/when we want to venture out for something like this. When you have a room, all sorts of other food options (like room delivery) are open to you. Then there's the "event between the event" overnite that is really worth looking forward to!

But if anyone really wants to make a "long" weekend out of it, my offer still stands!

zionpsyfer

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
May 17, 2007
Denver
GntlKnght said:
zionpsyfer said:

Yes!

For the forseeable future, it will be held near Denver, CO near Valentine's day every year! ;D

For more info: http://www.meadfest.com/

Beautiful! I live two or three blocks away from that Sheraton. After the night is over I can stagger/crawl my way home. That cherry batch that you guys helped saved from the H2S should be bottled then. I'll repay the debt. ;) Also, there's a restaurant across the street and a block or two south named Chads that had killer buffalo burgers the last time I was there.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
There's also a BBQ joint down the street where I ate lunch when I got into town that was awesome. They had a bunch of Avery and New Belgium brews on Tap! The Rev, Hog Wild, Avery IPA and New Belgium's Fat Tire, 2 Below, Sunshine and 1554 if I remember right.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Yo momma

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 14, 2007
Flint, Michigan
Being that I live in Michigan and it's definetly a ways away; does anyone want to carpool? I would love to see my first competition. Or is there a competition in the big MI. at anytime? :icon_study: Is there a website that tells me where there is a closer one?

darkhorse

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 12, 2007
Amen to those questions!! Yo momma-My cousin called me about a month ago from a homebrew competition in Frankenmuth. He said it was pretty big and there was a catagory for Meads that was pretty heavily entered. He said he didn't care for the winning ones, but he's a beer guy so... Maybe next year I'll have something to enter.

Still sounds like small beans compared to IMF

Yo momma

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 14, 2007
Flint, Michigan
If you hear of the dates let me know so we can get together an d share some ideas :drunken_smilie: :cheers:!
I live in Flint so getting ther is no problem.

teljkon

Banned
May 28, 2007
Why do all the big fests take place in colorado I think the big beer fest is there this year as well I wonder if its going to be there next year too don't know to much about it.
:happy10:

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Maybe it's 'cause we drink more?? :laughing7:

Seriously, Colorado supports small business, especially brewing and winemaking, so there is a natural collection of people interested in both topics here. I think both the GABF and the IMF would not have happened if there wasn't enough of an interest within the professional communities to provide sponsorship. So we have our entrepreneurial commercial microbrewers and meadmakers to thank for it.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Many of the organizations, publishers, etc are located in the general vicinity as well.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Yo momma

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 14, 2007
Flint, Michigan
I did a pretty extensive search online and I found nothing that is open to the public for Mead competition. Only Beer brewers. :sad2:

Dagda

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 30, 2007
I think I asked this on another tread, but I'll risk some teasing.

I'd like to know when the dead line is for entry to the '08 competition. If there is time, I'd like to enter the sack mead I'm currantly working on as well as start on that mulled apple cyser and a metheglin and/or possibly a melomel. :drunken_smilie:

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns