Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: What mead are you going to make next and why?

I don't think that we'll see a change in the mead categories this year or next year. It is an item on the table though, and it is gaining momentum. There is recognition that the categories have become lmiting and that changes need to be made. Right now, getting the mead exam off the ground is the first order of business. But I'm sure that category refinement is on the way.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar
    Is it tasty . . . precious?

Evergreen, CO (west of and above the Denver smog!)

OK - I'm a believer in walk before you learn to run. I can wait!
    Na zdrowie!

Wayne B.

Next up? A 12 gallon semi-sweet Orange Blossom Straight mead. It will be aged in my new 10 gallon barrel. Followed by another 12 gallon semi sweet traditional, most likely with a mix of honeys, again for the barrel...

And a couple of smaller batch straight meads, using various varietal honeys...

I do prefer straight meads, even though I make a number of mels.

On the mead end it is going to be two more dry sparkaling meads in the wings. But im doing a couple of beers first ive been asked to do a lawn mower style of beer but Im planing a hefe as a comprimize.

5. Default Re: What mead are you going to make next and why?

I plan on making a 1 gallon batch of carrot mead, and a 5 gallon batch of vanilla chai. I have a 1 gallon of strawberry and vanilla chai ready to drink and 5 gallons of apple cyser still tasting like rocket fuel and a fresh 5 galon batch of peach vanilla that is only about 2 months old.

Whoa! Carrot mead?!? What inspired that?

There is a wine store in west palm that sells a very clear very good carot wine. I was suprised if you havent had a chance to try carrot wine give it a shot.

8. Default Re: What mead are you going to make next and why?

Ive always liked carrot juice and I have a ton of honey, so why not try something different! I will use all juice for this recipe. Lets just be glad I settled on Carrots, because i have some strange ideas!?

hmm... does it end up clear or slightly orange?
    Sounds like an interesting experiment for a 1 gallon.
    Go On, Take The Honey and Run

This store was somthing eles ill tell you. The whole store was veggie fruit and alternative types of wine. I guess the moral behind the story is experiment experiment experiment.

11. Default Re: What mead are you going to make next and why?

Im assuming it will clear to a golden color much like a dark honey mead. The peaches and vanilla I made was a bright orange to start and it has cleared into a dark golden color. Maybe Ill post my process once I decide to start it!

12. Default Re: What mead are you going to make next and why?

Check out the Vargas / Gulling book Making Wild Wines & Meads. There are some unusual ideas in there. Carrot, garlic, marigold, parsnip, pea pod, potato, tomato,etc. Pretty much anything to flavor your fermentable sugars.

Ill tell you first hand some of those veggies have intresting complexity to them on par with any wine Ive had!

Well, I'm doing Oskaars "Sauterned On" recipe for several reasons.

1) I get to use oak cubes and that is something that I will have to learn to use eventually if I'm ever going to start making meads with any type of body and character. They're fairly easy to use and cheap and the gains are more than enough to try it.
    2) Differents yeasts. I've only used Red Star Champaigne and wine yeasts so I know what the drawbacks are and the flavors they can impart. Well, sort of, but you get my point. At least I know what NOT to do with them now at any rate.
    3) Different honey experiment. I've only used local wildflower honey here and now will have the opportunity to check flavors added.
    4) It's a mead that one can taste after aging to gain insight.

Just my .02 worth.

DD

I just made both of Oskaarz dry mead batches (see Oskarrz Dry Dual Batches in the Brew Log)

Right now I'm letting them age sur lie for a few months--probably rack them to clear for good around early feb, I'll post more taste notes then.

But it would be great to see someone else to exchange working noes with as these age.
    Go On, Take The Honey and Run

I'm going to be making another batch of Wrathwilde's Chocolate Aphrodisiac. Why? Because I have Lalvin D254 on hand, but more importantly than that, when I sampled my batch back on November 4, it was AWESOME and I know it's not going to last long once I bottle it !!!

I made my original batch on April 28, 2007, and will make my second batch around that same time. I'm planning on letting my original batch bulk-age for at least a year before I bottle it, and it's very likely I will be making this each and every year if my preliminary samplings are any indication of what this will taste like when properly aged.

Thanks again for posting that one Wrath !!!

- GL63

Djworniak, Cranberry Christmas Cyser, Blueberry Cyser, Cherry Cyser, Yeast test (in-progress), etc...

The tagline says it all... My carboys spilleth over this season. I can't wait until bottling time is upon me.

My next batch will be another 50 gallon batch of a spiced orange mead.

I made one batch to determine whether or not I could increase the scale of my 2007 IMF winner from 3 gallons to 50 gallons. The first attempt was an amazing success, so this will be another attempt at the same recipe to see if I can replicate it consistently.

Just as a side note, the increase in scale of this project forced me to make some changes to the methods of production. The end result was (in my opinion) a mead that far surpassed the original with half the time aging.

David
    David Baldwin
    Michigan Meadery LLC

www.michiganmeadery.com

Quote Originally Posted by David Baldwin
    Just as a side note, the increase in scale of this project forced me to make some changes to the methods of production. The end result was (in my opinion) a mead that far surpassed the original with half the time aging.

David
    Wow 50 gallons! Did you use a barrel to age it in? How did you cut the aging time so significantly?

20. Default Re: What mead are you going to make next and why?

I'm going to be doing a blackberry Melomel. Why? Because my wife's eyes lit up at the suggestion. I haven't dusted off my carboys for about 5 years because we kept moving. We are very settled in our home so we've started brewing. First batch was actually beer which is important because the beer keeps us from digging into the mead before it's ready.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast