Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Evergreen, CO (west of and above the Denver smog!)

Default Re: What mead are you going to make next and why?

Hey, Al! Welcome to "GotMead?" and welcome back to the addiction, er, ah, hobby!

You'll find a lot of friendly folks here, and lots more good advice.
    Na zdrowie!

Wayne B.

2. Default Re: What mead are you going to make next and why?

i'm going orange
    an orange cini melometh comes to mind, and a orange wine, and maybe a batch of the JOA just for some table mead
    why, a friend just gave me two 25 pound bags of oranges and thats a little more than i can handle
    might do a rose vanilla mead or a peach mead in the future

Funny to look at this post again, makes me feel like I've accomplished a lot! Got the ABC, Dry Meadz, , Cocoa Cherry & Cyser test batches under my belt now (all needing another racking to tertiary aging) I'm ready to get on it again!

Next in line is a pyment (varietal TBA) a Ginger Beer (sorghum malt, ginger, saaz hops & ale yeast) and another attempt at a Cyser (liking those D47 and K1V batches a lot, still got to choose)

Now that I've been converted to bulk aging more of my brews I'm starting to wonder if I need even more carboys. :P
    Go On, Take The Honey and Run

4. Default Re: What mead are you going to make next and why?

Well in my case I have a jalapeno and oak mead in primary ( Jalapeno on a stick)
    I will be brewing a 12 gal batch of red rabbit raspberry mead once the raspberries are ready to pick.
    In the next 3-4 weeks will be putting a series of 6 1 gal batch meads in glass ( wife wants to experiment with a bunch of ideas.)
    I think I will also make a traditional straight mead ( 5 gal )

5. Default Re: What mead are you going to make next and why?

Reading this makes me realize how fickle my intentions are. I havent made anything i had planned on and have changed my mind completely...... Making another "Lumberjack Ale", and maybe pitching the second "Lumberjack Braggot" right on top of it.....

5 gallons of Orange Blossom + Vanilla
    3 gallons apricot melomel
    3 gallons of tupelo
    6, 1 gallon batches, each with 1 tsp of spice (nutmeg, mace, cardamom, etc)
    Bees stole my signature file!

I have to make an Oskaars Subtle Strawberry before anything, next will be the Sowthwestern Cherry Cyser by Oskaar as well. See a trend here? Nothing will be started until all the meads I have are out of there secondary.
    If I was a mead what flavor would I be?

I'm going with the Subtle Strawberry as well, although I may do something with Mesquite before the strawberries are in season. I need to start making something, as I now have 200 + pounds of honey just waiting to ferment.

- GL63

The Fusel Shack, in the swamp west of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

I am going to try to produce a Madeira style mead without fortifying it. Instead I will step feed it up to as close to 20% ABV as I can get it. I am counting on long aging and high temp cooking and oxidation to remove any "rocket fuel" characteristics that develop. I want to end up with a delicious, but indestructible mead that can be stored without worries over temperature.
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon
    (Past years are always better)

I am thinking of doing a "Vanilla Icecream" Mead using this Vanilla paste, and perhaps a Sunflower honey. Lots of body, so yeast must match that goal. Will develop recipe soon.

Also going to be doing Oskaarz Subtle Strawberry, Oskaarz Petite Sweet Mesquite, Oskaarz Oaked Sweet Mead, and another batch of my Old Woody Acerglyn. This should take up the next 5 months.

Angus
    Chan fhíach cuírm gun a còmhradh

A feast is no use without good talk.

Oskaars Oaked Sweet mead was wonderful. Great pick!
    If I was a mead what flavor would I be?

I am searching/stalking for a Magner's tasting like, cyser-mead clone that sparklings. When I find this receipe it will be my next one.

In the next couple days, I'll be making the following:

• Green Tea Mango Methomel
    • Mango Melomel
    • Pumpkin Pie Methomel
    • Apricot Melomel

On the pumpkin pie, I'm going to be using canned pumpkin. I haven't been able to find much on pumpkin pie meads. Does anyone have any suggestions? On both the pie, and green tea mango meads, I'll be adding the spice/tea to the secondary (to taste).
    Brad Dahlhofer
    Co-Founder / CEO
    B. Nektar Meadery - www.bnektar.com
    Sign up for our newsletter (on our website) for news about upcoming releases.
    Find us on Facebook and Twitter
    Vice-President - American Mead Makers Association -www.mead-makers.org

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Dahlhofer
    In the next couple days, I'll be making the following:

• Pumpkin Pie Methomel

Post whatever you have. I always end up getting stuck with huge pumpkins by Halloween and I'd like to actually turn them into something that I can drink, instead of something I can eat!

Brad,

Do a forum search (advanced) using Gran Marnier as the search criteria, and Oskaar as the author.

Lemme know if you get the recipe/process.

Oskaar
    Is it tasty . . . precious?

Let me chime in here and say that in case anyone is tempted by the idea, Pumpkin Blossom Honey does NOT taste very good fermented, nor is it necessarily a good honey choice for a pumpkin pie mel/meth.

my $0.02 based on personal experience

Quote Originally Posted by Oskaar
    Brad,

Do a forum search (advanced) using Gran Marnier as the search criteria, and Oskaar as the author.

Lemme know if you get the recipe/process.

Oskaar
    Found it, thanks. Here's a link in case anyone else wants to check it out. http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?opt...16729#msg16729

I also found a post of yours that talks about a drive through an almond farm with a crazed girlfriend. Very funny story.
    Brad Dahlhofer
    Co-Founder / CEO
    B. Nektar Meadery - www.bnektar.com
    Sign up for our newsletter (on our website) for news about upcoming releases.
    Find us on Facebook and Twitter
    Vice-President - American Mead Makers Association -www.mead-makers.org

Hey Brad ,

I make a pumpkin mead every year, It's become some what of a local favorite.

Here's the recipe: 5 gal.

(Old Jack Punkin Mead)
    15 lbs. Wildflower honey
    2 lbs. dark brown sugar
    2- 29 oz cans of pumpkin
    Yeast nutrients as needed
    10 broken 3 inch cinnamon sticks
    1 Tblsp whole cloves
    1 Tblsp whole allspice berries (cracked)
    1 whole nutmeg grated
    Safale T- 58 yeast 11.5 grams rehydrate with Goferm.( I know its an ale yeast but I like the results I get with it )

OG 1.125 to 1.130

Wassail,
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Brimminghorn
    Hey Brad ,

I make a pumpkin mead every year, It's become some what of a local favorite.

OG 1.125 to 1.130

Wassail,
    Jon
    Sounds good! Whats the FG usually read on this?

ps-I get the feeling this is a semi quick mead, am I right?

oh yeah...on topic: I'll have my pyments on by the end of the semester, and with the arrival of spring the opportunities to use dandelions, lilacs, and rose hips flit elusively by. Once again I hope to catch the short window to make floral spring meads, it's beginning to take on a road runner / coyote theme actually.
    Go On, Take The Honey and Run

I've given this a bit of thought lately. I'd like to do something's that's a bit of an aphrodisiac plus.

I thought I might start with Wrathwilde's Chocolate Aphrodisiac. We've all read the threads about it. Than add strawberries, Schizandra, and maybe licorice.

I'm not sure how much Schizandra to add. I did a quick search on the forums for Schizandra and didn't see any postings. Has anyone used it? It's cherished among Chinese as an aphrodisiac. It also has an interesting flavor. It has five flavors at different times; sour, sweet, bitter, warm, and salty. I thought the complexity might be nice. I'm a little concerned about adding too much since it can have an afterbite, but I think the honey/chocolate will counter most of that if I'm careful. I'm also hoping it will disguise the salty. Has anyone made something salty? Does that flavor tend to enhance or disappear over time?

Licorice is another herbal aphrodisiac. I'll have to search the forums for licorice info. I know I saw it in a thread somewhere, but I don't remember what it recommended.

There are a couple of other herbal aphrodisiacs I'm familiar with, but I don't know that the flavors would enhance this mead.

Any ideas on what I'm missing?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast