• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

2008 International Mead Competition Schedule

Barrel Char Wood Products

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
2008 International Mead Competition Schedule

Thursday – This event is limited to industry members (Meadery owners, industry support businesses) to determine the way ahead for the Mead Association (Please RSVP to info@meadfest.comThis e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it by 1 February to ensure a place in this session) (Limit 50 participants)

* 7:00 - 7:15 Where have we been? – Julia Herz, Gretchen Bliss
* 7:15 – 8:15 Where are we going? – Julia Herz, Harrison and Gretchen Bliss
o Formation of a new Association
o By Laws review
o Board formation
o Festival Format for next year
o Committee Formation
o Strategic goals – Association benefits
* 8:15 – 8:30 Break
* 8:30 – 9:30 Health of the Industry… – Julia Herz
o Health of the Industry – Vicki Rowe
o Industry Statistics – Vicki Rowe
* 9:30 – 10:00 Way Ahead and Due Outs – Gretchen Bliss

Friday – All Mead Competition supporters, meaderies, judges, and helpers – Crown Rock Room (Limit 100 participants)

* 7:00 – 8:30 Presentation by Mark Berans of Medovina titled "The Queen Bee, the Mother of All Fermentation" & "A Collage of the Past, Present, and Future of Mead"
* 8:30 – 8:40 Break
* 8:40 – 9:00 Preview of BJCP Mead Exam – Julia Herz (tentative)
* 9:00 – 9:30 Presentation by Ken Schramm author of the “Compleat Meadmaker” titled
* 9:30 – 10:00 Hang out and catch up

Saturday – All Mead Competition supporters, meaderies, judges, stewards, volunteers and invited guests – guests will register at the door and be given wristbands for in and out privileges. Participants may be given to chance to participate in a silent auction for exciting mead door prizes. (Limit 175 participants)

Meaderies – if you would like to donate items for the door prizes please contact info@meadfest.comThis e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it with a list and invoice of your donations for the event.

* 7:00 – 7:15 Social event
* 7:15 – 7:30 Introductions – Gretchen Bliss
* 7:30 – 8:00 Home Mead Maker Awards Ceremony – Petar Bakulic, Glenn Exline and Deborah Lee
* 8:00 – 8:30 Commercial Mead Competition Awards Ceremony – Marie Bird Struckman and Danny Williams
* 8:30 – 9:30 Silent Auction – Glenn and Dani Exline
* 8:45 - 10:00 Limbo Party (Light buffet provided by Spruce Mountain Meadery)

With over 100 Commerical Meads entered in the competition, we would like all qualified commercial judges to sign up for judging. This is a great opportunity to try some of the best meads on the market, not only in the US but in Canada, Slovakia and Poland. Sign up on meadfest.com under Commercial competition. Get a judging form here:
http://www.meadfest.com/2008Forms/Judge_Application_2008.xls

If you are going to be at the competition, the HMMC needs your help in Judging or stewarding. They have 188 meads from all over the US and Canada that require the best mead judges from around the world. If you are willing to help judge you can apply at http://hmmc.meadfest.com/hmmc_entry.htm Just select the Judge Entry tab and fill in your information! Approved judges, please bring business cards for the judging forms so you can promote your companies and show entrants the wide and diverse judge pool who evaluated their entries.

Please be sure to make your reservations now at the Outlook Hotel in Boulder (www.boulderoutlook.com) soon. Mention the “meadfest” rate to get the outstanding deals on your room at 65.00 + tax per night.

Gretchen Bliss
Commercial Competition Organizer and
Owner Spruce Mountain Meadery

yabodie

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2006
Hey Vicky,
Any info about what happened with the BJCP mead test? Or other bits of info about the mead industry from the IMF this year? Some folks at our brew club meeting last Saturday were asking about it.

Thanks!

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Hey dude,

We took sample questions for the exam at the industry meeting (dude, some of them were *hard*), so that is proceeding. How close they are to releasing is better put to Oskaar, I know he's been corresponding with the BJCP folk.

Industry-wise, things are proceeding slowly. The folks that spearheaded this last years' event won't be able to do it again due to family and work constraints, so we're dropping back and re-grouping to form the industry group. We did vote to change the organization name to MeadMakers International (MMI).

We're currently assessing our resources and figuring out when and where the 2009 even will be, and what it will be. Stay tuned, I'll keep y'all updated as info becomes available.

yabodie

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2006
Excellent and good to know. Let me know if there are things I can help with. On a side note I was invited to serve one of my meads at an art gallery in DC at the end of September with a showing of the art of homebrewing. Other beer styles will be served as well, but there will be a mead on tap!!

Maybe Oskaar can chime in about the BJCP Mead exam when he gets a chance.

:cheers:

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns