Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!
  1. Default thinking outside the box

I was wondering since I keep all my supplies in one spare room could I buy a UV Light room sanitizer like the germ guardian for the room? Would it work? I was thinking if these things worked all I would have to do is rinse equipment with hot water after use and keep it in the sanitized room. Here is a link to read up on this thing

Here is info on it
    Product Description

Germ Guardian, Plug In Room Sanitizer, Uses UVC Light Technology Natural Way To Kill Germs Without The Use Of Chemicals, Produces No Ozone, Destroys 99.9% Of Airborne Germs Including Flu Viruses And Other Airborne Germs, Destroys Mold Spores, Allergens, Proven To Eliminate Orders Caused By Smoke, Pets, Mold, Cooking, & More, Disinfects 450 Cubic Feet Of Air Per Hour, Works In Any Room Great For Bedrooms & Bathrooms, No Filter To Replace Or Clean, Whisper Quiet Fan Operation, 1 Year Limited Warranty. *This item usually ships in 4-6 business days.

* Manufacturer: GUARDIAN TECHNOLOGIES LLC
    * Model Number: GG1000
    * UPC code: 895916001124
    * SKU: 279155
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ....do?oid=175207

Default Re: thinking outside the box

It could be helpful, but you should still maintain standard sanitation practices. Items like vinyl buckets can hide microorganisms in the tiny minute scratches or depressions in the plastic, water pooled in tubes or carboys may dry out but still leave spores, ect. It's a good idea not to leave anything to chance.

<><><><><><><><><><>
    <><><><><><><><>
    Dan McFeeley

"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
    (The people's spirit is raised through culture)

The Fusel Shack, in the swamp west of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

This device is certainly an interesting idea, but I agree with Dan that I don't think it will replace other sanitation. It may remove many airborne contaminants, but there are many things that spread by surface contact - and those surfaces can include your hands; your clothes; fruits, herbs, spices you may be adding; and the extremities of pesky fruit flies and other unwelcome visitors. Still, a gadget like this might really help minimize some contaminants. I'd be interested to learn more.

Thanks for posting innovative ideas.

Medsen
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon
    (Past years are always better)

Having just done a microbiology lab on the effectiveness of UV light on bacteria, I would say don't depend on any UV sanitization equipment. UV light has very limited range, and does not effectively penetrate even clear plastic, so anything not in a direct line of sight would be unaffected. UV works by mutating chromosomal DNA, preventing binary fission (reproduction), but many bacteria can repair this damage as soon as they are removed from direct exposure. So I would say save your money. Just my .02.
    Justin