Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!

Default Estimating time left until bottling by bubbles per minute.

I'm trying to guesstimate when the two meads that I didn't keep accurate records on (ie, I didn't write down their starting SG).

I am basically only going by the bubbling in the airlock. All of them are bubbling at least once every 2 or 3 seconds.

I found this old post by Oskaar here,

http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?opt...2&topic=2602.0

And this is still the current consensus? Rack to new carboys after seeing a bubble once every thirty seconds or so. So until I get to that point I should be okay on these two batches?

Default Re: Estimating time left until bottling by bubbles per minute.

A hydrometer is your best friend!

Bubbles are inconsistent (leaks, etc.) but if everything is good, then yes, that's a fair guideline.
    Wild In Idaho
    Mead, like life, is a journey and not a destination. So stop and savor the flavors along the way!

"Gawd, I hate drinking mead and posting in the forums."

Nothing currently fermenting!

3. Default Re: Estimating time left until bottling by bubbles per minute.

i can't reiterate wildaho's statement enough
    bubbling is not a good reflection of late stage fermentation
    even if you haven't taken specific gravity tests before on the batch, a hydrometer reading is the best judge
    unless you used a very high alch tolerate yeast you are likely safe with a sg close to 1.000
    if it is very tolerant such as a champagne yeast, or something else bread to ferment totally dry, then i'd look for something less than 1.000

This is why we are supposed to keep a brewlog! I made the mistake with these two, and while the SG's are dropping...I'll never know when it's done. It's nowhere near close to 1.00 though.

Still at like 1.019 when I checked one of them today!

Even if you don't know the OG, you can still figure out when it's finished fermenting with your hydrometer. When the SG is stable for a week, you're safe to rack*. Where the SG will land depends on the yeast, the OG, nutrition, etc., but at least you know that when it stops dropping, the yeast are done eating.

*assuming your fermentation isn't stuck. but at 1.019 and dropping, you should probably be fine on that front.
    Want to see something added to the GotMead Glossary? PM me! Didn't know we had a glossary? Check the top row of links.