• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

My JAO Label

Barrel Char Wood Products

jt852

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 23, 2007
I figured I'd share the label that I made for my recent JAO variation. Also, for those of you making labels, how do you get the colors to really pop? When I printed a sample, it looks decent, but it seems so dull and muted compared to the digital version.

For those that were wondering, I've blacked out my last name for privacy reasons, and the alc% is ? right now as I haven't taken an FG reading yet.

2423157498_8cb8b190b5.jpg

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Muted colors are par for the course when you're printing on standard Avery label stock, since a lot of the ink gets soaked into the paper and what remains on the surface is then less intense. You need a paper that has been surface treated to minimize the amount of ink that is absorbed into the paper body (such as is used in all the "photo" papers out there), and you need to print using the highest resolution (typically called "photo" or something like that - depending on the printer that you're using). Finally, to fix those inks and to keep them from running when exposed to moisture, you can buy a can of spray fixative from any camera shop.

Short of going through all that, you're probably going to be stuck with the subdued colors.

And yup - I like that label design, too!

jt852

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 23, 2007
I figured that the uncoated paper might be part of the problem with the muted colors, that's why I then tried to seal it with a can of clear matte acrylic spray I had laying around. It helped, make the colors pop a bit more, but still rather subdued, and also ended up with a bunch of brown splotches. Maybe I'll just try some photo paper. Its not that terribly expensive. Or maybe I'll have to see about putting it in a pdf and taking it to a copy shop that can laser print on full sheet label paper, then I'll just cut them out.

doc- It might not be worth it to try tracking me down to steal it. This is only my third brew, and the first that I'd consider worthy. The first two were done before I really knew what I was doing and made a bunch of mistakes including fermenting them too warm producing all sorts of bad flavors. Even so, I still bottled them and stuck them in a corner of the closet. I'll have to see what they're like after some extended aging.

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Another thing to consider is the color settings you have for your graphics program. There is a difference between what a monitor shows, and what the printer can produce. This difference sometimes results in bright graphics coming out muted on paper.

For example, in Photoshop, under View, there is a Proof option that allows you to have the monitor show a more likely result of the printer (I think it is CMYK, but I could be wrong, it has been a while since I did this). Check out what options you have for the program you are using. Then, you can adjust the brightness/contrast/color of your image to match what you are looking for.

Good luck.

Angus

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Another alternative is printing with a color laser on regular glossy paper. You can do that at Kinko's, and then you can use a cutter to make clean edges. I do this because I hate Avery labels - they are too much of a pain to take off (which is, I suppose, a sign that Avery is making a good product - they stay on). I use water soluble glue such as Elmer's to apply them and when I want them off, I just soak them in hot water.

With the color laser I generally get sharp crisp color with no smudges.

Launcelot

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 9, 2007
I have a friend that is a graphic artist..

This is the label template I use...

jt852

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 23, 2007
Thanks for all the compliments on the label. I wish I could take full credit for it, but actually I just found the picture when I was browsing a stock photography website looking for imagery for a different project. I saw that and immediately recognized that it would be a good label.

jt852

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 23, 2007
I had enough of trying to fight with printing an acceptable looking label. Here's what I ultimately did, and it turned out GREAT. I ended up printing my labels as pictures from one of those instant digital prints kiosks. I tiled the label image 2 per 4x6 photo, so when printed I got 2 nice sharp, waterproof, stain resistant labels for 15 cents. Just cut them apart and then attached them using some double sided tape. I'm sure there's cheaper solutions out there, but at a total cost of only around 10 cents a label, its hard to beat. Especially when given as a gift.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns