• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Want some bees?

Barrel Char Wood Products

butterlily5

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 23, 2008
Somewhere in Sacramento...
That one had me laughing out loud. I have a spastic dog, too, so I can understand that. I think I'd rather have this problem than the one I do: My neighborhood is pretty much over-run by hornets, *grrrr* so there aren't many in the way of bees. Makes gardening kinda difficult.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
butterlily5 said:
That one had me laughing out loud. I have a spastic dog, too, so I can understand that. I think I'd rather have this problem than the one I do: My neighborhood is pretty much over-run by hornets, *grrrr* so there aren't many in the way of bees. Makes gardening kinda difficult.
Not being familiar with the insects of North America, I have to guess that hornets are bigger than bee's (the few we see here in the UK are).

So from what I recall of my fathers bee keeping, he used some sort of system on the hives to keep most of the wasps out (not 100% guaranteed - but reasonably successful) so couldn't you do the same to keep hornets out of a hive ??

regards

fatbloke

butterlily5

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 23, 2008
Somewhere in Sacramento...
I have not been able to learn the difference between wasps, hornets, yellowjackets, etc. (the only difference I see is a slight difference in color). They are all hostile and destructive as far as I'm concerned. All I know is, I don't see bees here. :sad10:

Launcelot

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 9, 2007
Up in the sac area there is a nasty mud wasp that is sting happy...

I don't have any hard knowledge on breed or anything, I just have encountered them a few times while hitting the river.

--L

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns