• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

New aging method -- electrifying!

Barrel Char Wood Products

wildaho

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
May 22, 2007
McCall, ID
wildaho.blogspot.com
Oooooo, Frankenstein! That opens up all kinds of new possibilities. It's like lightning struck and opened up new neural pun paths. I had just about run the circuit on the other thread.

But I'll resist...
;D

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Hey, Dan! In a very rare event, somebody beat you to the punch (line) on this one. Check out wildaho's post (#22 in the thread): http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13347&highlight=wildaho

Found it -- good post with great responses!

ECT for treatment of psychiatric disorders has been making a quiet comeback for quite some time now. Any takers for good puns on this?

Looking at the article, I'm not sure why they used titanium electrodes. A wire coil would have worked better.

You know, the possibilities for bulk aging are there -- Set up a wire coil around the carboy, put a load distributing resistor on the line to avoid fuse popping power surges, then just plug it into a wall socket.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Hmm, I wonder if the shape of the field has anything to do with it. A coil won't produce the same field as two plate electrodes. But, you'd get a nicely shaped magnetic field, and who knows what that would do... And their field sounded like an AC field. What happens with a DC field?

I am skeptical. I'm wondering if these effects are permanent or short-lived. If I zap my wine today, will it still taste like crap if I wait until tomorrow to drink it? Am I really changing the wine chemistry or just sticking "unwanted" chemicals to the sides of the pipe it's in?

Biggest question: what do "well-aged" Chinese wines taste like? I haven't had Chinese wine but I'm guessing that's because there isn't a big international demand for it. Not that that means Chinese wine is automatically swill, but who knows, it could be.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns