• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Honey Sauce?

Barrel Char Wood Products

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
I was out paddling with friends today and stopped by KFC to grab dinner so I wouldn't have to actually prepare food myself. Included with my biscuit was a packet of, not honey, but "honey sauce." What the heck is that? I'll tell you:
High fructose corn syrup, sugar, honey, corn syrup, natural flavor, caramel color.

Honey Sauce?

Urgh. Way to take a wonderful natural product and turn it into garbage.

I don't think I'll be collecting packets to be making mead any time soon. I don't think I'll be putting it on my biscuit either.
:protest:

beninak

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2007
Anchorage, AK
I know the first time I saw that it kind of turned me off to KFC and made me wonder what is in the rest of their food.

Speaking of fake, has anyone tried any of the vegan-friendly imitation honeys? I ran across this product that looks kind of interesting just because it is completely sugar free, and according to the reviewers on Amazon, tastes great. Of course, I'm inclined to believe that they are probably all diabetics who haven't tasted honey in 5+ years and may have forgotten what it tastes like.

I'm undecided on if I'd want to use it in a mead or not, but since it contains non-fermentable maltitol it would sure make it easier to control the alchohol and sweetness level of mead without having to use sulfites or sorbate.

afdoty

NewBee
Staff member
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2009
Monroe, CT
Urgh. Way to take a wonderful natural product and turn it into garbage.

Hey, that stuff will out live all of us. Like a Twinkie. I always wonder what "May include Natural Products" means. Sometimes better not to know and just stay away from it.

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
It will outlive us, more's the pity. But since I have about 4 gallons of amazing raspberry blossom honey in my cupboard under the stairs, I think I'll use that on my biscuits!

I've never even heard of vegan "honey"

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
I know the first time I saw that it kind of turned me off to KFC and made me wonder what is in the rest of their food.

Speaking of fake, has anyone tried any of the vegan-friendly imitation honeys? I ran across this product that looks kind of interesting just because it is completely sugar free, and according to the reviewers on Amazon, tastes great. Of course, I'm inclined to believe that they are probably all diabetics who haven't tasted honey in 5+ years and may have forgotten what it tastes like.

I'm undecided on if I'd want to use it in a mead or not, but since it contains non-fermentable maltitol it would sure make it easier to control the alchohol and sweetness level of mead without having to use sulfites or sorbate.

I've heard of (but not found) vegan honey that is really honey - it's just nectar collected from flowers and dried into goo, without ever having been stolen from bees.

If anyone has any info I'd love to hear it, my girlfriend is vegan (but she does eat honey, she says "who cares? They're bugs, and we're not eating THEM") and wants to start a vegan restaurant someday (full vegan, no honey) - and I'd love for mead to be on the menu, but only if I can get my hands on bee-less honey.

Ah, dreams.:)

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Would vegans object to "stealing" the alcohol from the poor yeasties too? Seems like a really wide and blurry line....

Sasper

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 19, 2009
Jesus, I've known some vegans that wont even eat bread because yeasts even though a mindless single celled creature, are a creature none the less haha. Thats way over the top! They don't feel bad about ripping the arms and legs of a head of lettuce apart though :( poor little guys.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Jesus, I've known some vegans that wont even eat bread because yeasts even though a mindless single celled creature, are a creature none the less haha. Thats way over the top! They don't feel bad about ripping the arms and legs of a head of lettuce apart though :( poor little guys.

Better not tell them there are yeast in the air. They'd have to stop breathing too! :rolleyes:

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Jesus, I've known some vegans that wont even eat bread because yeasts even though a mindless single celled creature, are a creature none the less haha. Thats way over the top!

I find that thinking just bizarre. Yeast are essentially single cell plants (complete with a cell wall). So it's okay to eat multicellular plants, but not unicellular ones? :bs:

Far be it from me, however, to discourage extreme vegans in any way. The more vegans there are, the cheaper meat will be at the supermarket! :icon_porc:
(honey too)

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada

I've heard of the yeast defending vegans too, my GF certainly isn't one of them!

Yeast are not animals, they're bloody Fungi. I think some vegans don't understand that just because something doesn't create it's own food (plant) doesn't mean it's an animal, there are more than two catagories.:rolleyes:

Bees are animals though, and we are exploiting them and stealing their hard earned food. But who care's, they're bugs, and they make something like 3 times what they need to eat anyways!

afdoty

NewBee
Staff member
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2009
Monroe, CT
:icon_scratch:

If God didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of meat!

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
:icon_scratch:

If God didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of meat!

Har har. I'm a meat eater, but I have a huge respect for vegans (the non-extremist/angry ones), it is a very healthy lifestyle, as well as being very good for the environment (ever driven past a factory farm and smelled the air? yuck...), it is much more efficiant (what we feed to cows could feed us for 10 times as long as the cow will) and it is a sound political statement. As long as vegans don't push their beliefs on others (like my girl doesn't, heck, she makes me buy cheese and meat for myself even when I wasn't planning to!). Plus, my girl doesn't actually think it's wrong to kill animals, she just has a problem with the way we treat them while they're alive. And I agree on that one, we have no reason to make their lives torture.

Sorry, I can talk all day about food.:)

CBiebel

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 19, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Would vegans object to "stealing" the alcohol from the poor yeasties too? Seems like a really wide and blurry line....

Well, yeasts aren't animals, so it shouldn't matter.

BTW, I noticed on their www site that Samuel Smith's beers are "certified Vegan." I've mentioned that to a few people, and they usually respond with "What animal parts would go into beer anyway?"

My thinking is probably the clarifiers (like Isenglass).

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Well, yeasts aren't animals, so it shouldn't matter.

BTW, I noticed on their www site that Samuel Smith's beers are "certified Vegan." I've mentioned that to a few people, and they usually respond with "What animal parts would go into beer anyway?"

My thinking is probably the clarifiers (like Isenglass).

Isenglass is the thing, yes. There's a website somewhere that compiles a list of many many brands and types of alcohol, and whether or not they are vegan (by emailing each company one at a time).

And yes, anyone worried about hurting yeast needs to go back to biology!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns