Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!

Unhappy bung in the carboy!

newb mistake!

used to small a bung and it fell into the caboy. anyone with any tricks to get it out?

tanks

*Greenman
    He drinks from the empty acorn cup
    the dew that dawn sweetly bestows.
    And taps his cane upon the ground ---
    signals the snowdrops it's time to grow.

if you stick a small garbage or plastic shopping bag in the top shake the bung to the opening blow up the bag and pull it should come out nice and easy, of course the carboy has to be empty first. good luck. i saw this trick on you tube. Jason
    From the tip of the largest freshwater lake in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Frantz View Post
    if you stick a small garbage or plastic shopping bag in the top shake the bung to the opening blow up the bag and pull it should come out nice and easy, of course the carboy has to be empty first. good luck. i saw this trick on you tube. Jason
    Do you have the link to the video? I'd be curious to see that.
    Al

The Fusel Shack, in the swamp west of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

I've seen the video for how to extract a cork from inside a bottle. I think for a bung it should work similarly.

Medsen
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon
    (Past years are always better)

WOW!

(I'm so easy)

If it's one of the bungs with a hole in it, get a metal crochet hook - size K works best. It's the largest they make that's still metal. You can buy one at Walmart for less than $2. - Grab the stopper through the airlock hole. (You may need to turn the carboy to do this.) You'll need to wiggle and turn the stopper as you pull. Don't pull from one spot on the stopper or it will start to rip. Pull a little here and a little from there. It helps if the neck is wet. Once it's just over 1/2 way in the neck, it gets really easy to pull the stopper right out!

I've become very proficient at this technique. And yes, now that I bent my crochet hook, I actually have one dedicated to meadmaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Medsen Fey View Post
    how to extract a cork from inside a bottle. I think for a bung it should work similarly.
    Hed have saved himself so much aggravation if he had just soaked his cork.
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by Kee View Post
    Once it's just over 1/2 way in the neck, it gets really easy to pull the stopper right out![/FONT][/COLOR] I've become very proficient at this technique. And yes, now that I bent my crochet hook, I actually have one dedicated to meadmaking. [/FONT][/COLOR]
    Ohhhhhhhhhhh nooooooooo............................
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by Medsen Fey View Post
    I've seen the video for how to extract a cork from inside a bottle. I think for a bung it should work similarly.

Medsen
    LMAO! I missed the link earlier. This was so funny I had to watch it twice. I never would have guessed that would have worked.