• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

bung in the carboy!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Jason Frantz

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 1, 2009
Duluth, Minnesota
if you stick a small garbage or plastic shopping bag in the top shake the bung to the opening blow up the bag and pull it should come out nice and easy, of course the carboy has to be empty first. good luck. i saw this trick on you tube. Jason

afdoty

NewBee
Staff member
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2009
Monroe, CT
if you stick a small garbage or plastic shopping bag in the top shake the bung to the opening blow up the bag and pull it should come out nice and easy, of course the carboy has to be empty first. good luck. i saw this trick on you tube. Jason

Do you have the link to the video? I'd be curious to see that.

Kee

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
If it's one of the bungs with a hole in it, get a metal crochet hook - size K works best. It's the largest they make that's still metal. You can buy one at Walmart for less than $2. - Grab the stopper through the airlock hole. (You may need to turn the carboy to do this.) You'll need to wiggle and turn the stopper as you pull. Don't pull from one spot on the stopper or it will start to rip. Pull a little here and a little from there. It helps if the neck is wet. Once it's just over 1/2 way in the neck, it gets really easy to pull the stopper right out!

I've become very proficient at this technique. And yes, now that I bent my crochet hook, I actually have one dedicated to meadmaking.

afdoty

NewBee
Staff member
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2009
Monroe, CT
Once it's just over 1/2 way in the neck, it gets really easy to pull the stopper right out![/FONT][/COLOR] I've become very proficient at this technique. And yes, now that I bent my crochet hook, I actually have one dedicated to meadmaking. [/FONT][/COLOR]

Ohhhhhhhhhhh nooooooooo............................:eek:

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns