Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

12/25/09
    -Recently, my dad topped this off with some Trader Joe's Blueberry-Pomegranate juice. We tasted the aronia berry wine today to see how it is progressing. Wow! It has come a long way. I credit a lot of the new flavor profile to the pomegranate. It added just enough tartness that the drink was actually pretty good. I must say, had this been made with blueberries and not aronia berries, this would be a great drink.
    If I could time travel, I'd probably use it to see how my brews were doing in the future.

Not sure how valuable it is to resurrect this dead thread, but I was recently searching for an aronia wine recipe, and thought I'd chip in in case anyone else stumbles in here looking for the same. After doing a bunch of research, my recommendation for anyone looking to use these things in a brew is to steam distill or otherwise cook the berries first.

I recently bought three clamshell quarts of black aronia in a burst of unwarranted enthusiasm, only to find that they were, indeed, as dry and bitter as I'd been told. I felt silly until it struck me that I'd always found vegetables more palatable while cooked (and why not berries?); so I mortar-and-pestled a handful of berries with a tsp. or so of five-spice powder, and ran it through my coffee maker. The result was this lovely blackfruit-tasting tea with just a hint of earthy cinnamon and cloves: to be honest, I'm kind of addicted now.

http://www.antioxidant-fruits.com/ar...y-recipes.html

I say this because it lends more credence to the above aronia wine recipe, which recommends steam-juicing the fruits. I can't find the link anymore, but I read online somewhere about a guy in Quebec doing similarly; my intent is to try this out myself as soon as the store selling 'em opens back up after Labor Day.

http://midwestaronia.org/aronia-dry-mead/

Anyone looking to try an aronia mead might be interested here, though it calls for aronia concentrate as well as fresh berries.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12