• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Redstone Gets National Airtime!

Barrel Char Wood Products

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Hey! My wife just handed me a copy of today's Denver Post, opened to one of the pages in the business section, sporting a flattering photo of none other than David Meyers, the founder of Redstone Meadery. The article says that CNN will air a piece about Redstone tomorrow, in their "Morning Express with Robin Meade" segment, at 4:30 AM Mountain Time. The piece will be repeated at 7 AM Mountain on Thursday. Way to go, David! Nice national exposure for commercial mead!

For those of you who don't want to get up at (for some of us) an ungodly hour of the morning just to see the video, the Post has a link to it on their website, along with Penny Parker's article describing the segment:
http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_13389811

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
It would be nice for mead to get a little publicity so that when I tell people I make it they wouldn't go "what?"

WTG!

Shanecb

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 15, 2008
It would be nice for mead to get a little publicity so that when I tell people I make it they wouldn't go "what?"

WTG!

Too true! Always have to clarify what it is, it seems.

"Isn't that a type of beer?"
*sigh* "No"

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
I just say "honey wine" to them, it's easier for everyone that way.

I have switched to "fermented honey" since "honey wine" doesn't really make sense as the common definition of "wine" is "fermented grape juice". Unfortunately there are "honeyed wine" products available commercially that are sold as mead, which really doesn't help us out. For most people it seems that "honey wine" also has the connotation of being sweet, which is obviously not always true. So yeah, I have been going with fermented honey instead. Concise and accurate, yet not as unhelpful as "it's mead, duh!" which is usually my response to "what does it taste like?" ;D

Angelic Alchemist

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 14, 2009
Houston, TX
www.Angelic-Alchemy.com
I have switched to "fermented honey" since "honey wine" doesn't really make sense as the common definition of "wine" is "fermented grape juice". Unfortunately there are "honeyed wine" products available commercially that are sold as mead, which really doesn't help us out. For most people it seems that "honey wine" also has the connotation of being sweet, which is obviously not always true. So yeah, I have been going with fermented honey instead. Concise and accurate, yet not as unhelpful as "it's mead, duh!" which is usually my response to "what does it taste like?" ;D

Meh. I don't give average people that much credit -- that is, I don't think most people know that there is a difference between honey wine and honeyed wine, or that fruit wines are different from melomels, and that wine can be pyment which is a type of mead but not all meads are wines, etc. etc. Though, I agree that people who backsweeten wine with honey and call it mead are crappy indeed.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
I just go the long winded aproach and say that it's like wine, but instead of fermenting fruit juice you ferment honey water.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns