• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Okay, People...

Barrel Char Wood Products

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
...I'm on leave and am consequently spending a lot more time in front of my computer than I usually do, but c'mon! You guys just aren't posting enough to keep me busy! I keep coming to GotMead and seeing "no unread posts" message, which clearly means everyone else is spending entirely too much time on real life and not enough time here, entertaining me with their brewing exploits. It's got to stop. I can spend only so much time on Facebook, ya know, so get posting.

;D

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Facebook scrabble is quite fun. ;)

You know, this is the perfect time to start planning a regional mead gathering. We could get one of those tasting kits for picking out the different flaws, and a components tasting, maybe a varietal honey tasting too. All sorts of logistics to work out. Chop chop!

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
Well, I can't lift things at the moment (post surgery), and I need more honey.

:mad:

I do have some tasting/racking to do as soon as I feel good enough to boss my daughter around to lift and step and fetch for me. Which will be soon...very soon.

:)

socpsy

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 23, 2009
NW Arkansas
www.socpsy.com
...I'm on leave and am consequently spending a lot more time in front of my computer than I usually do, but c'mon! You guys just aren't posting enough to keep me busy! I keep coming to GotMead and seeing "no unread posts" message, which clearly means everyone else is spending entirely too much time on real life and not enough time here, entertaining me with their brewing exploits.

;D

I only have a couple of mead projects going right now and one of them is just a 1gal test.

How about a little softshoe for entertainment?
dancesmiley.gif

Displaced Hick

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 12, 2009
Arlington, WA
All I have going right now is bulk aging and one braggot that is probably going to be bottled this weekend. Which means I will have a 3 gal carboy free so I can start on my cider.

Kee

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Wildoats, have you planned your next couple batches? It usually takes me a bit of time to do the research and decide on just 'the one' recipe I want. Or maybe you can start a small 1 gallon. Any airlock blipping away is better than most things on TV. Maybe you can plan a 'fantasy meadery' for when you win the Powerball - even if you don't actually play the lottery. :)

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
Plan?

:)

I have two pounds of chocolate nibs that I plan to use in a batch, but I need to get some more honey before I do. I also want to make a cyser for next fall.

That's about the extent of my "planning."
:rolleyes:

FayLee

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 30, 2009
Montana
Ooooh, cyser, that sounds good. I'll be getting a five gallon bucket of honey from when my dad still kept bees when I go back to Oregon for Christmas. I think I'll do two one gallons, one plain honey and one cyser.

Kee

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I have two pounds of chocolate nibs that I plan to use in a batch, but I need to get some more honey before I do. I also want to make a cyser for next fall.

Yum! Will it be a plain chocolate mead or will you make a make a combo? Chocolate-berry or chocolate-chili? What flavors do you want from the yeast? Maybe more of a nutty flavor? Something else?

wildaho

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
May 22, 2007
McCall, ID
wildaho.blogspot.com
I wish I could find an apple cider (not juice, can't stand apple juice) that doesn't contain preservatives...

Fisher, I can go to my local grocery store and pick up both cider and juice (commercially, there is no difference). As long as there are no sulfites or sorbates, go ahead and use them. Most apple juices are pasteurized but very damned few of them have preservatives. You might find some Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) but little else. The Ascorbic Acid is there to enhance the tartness. It won't get in the way of your mead though.

Try this: pick up a bottle of both juice and cider from the same manufacturer. They name them different just because of the same bias that you have mentioned. They are still the same juice, just different names. As long as you don't see the words "sulfite" or "sorbate" in the ingredients list, you are golden.

:cheers:
Wade

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
As long as you don't see the words "sulfite" or "sorbate" in the ingredients list, you are golden.

To that list add "benzoate".

And yes, cider and juice are the same thing (in the US)--squeezed apples. You can thank the temperance movement for screwing that up for us. In the rest of the world, "cider" denotes a fermented beverage. Personally I have adopted that convention. Only 300 million more people to convince and then we can fix the labeling in the supermarkets. ;)

Fun story. In college I took my gf (now wife) out to a fancy dinner (in an old psych hospital now turned apt building...we had to be buzzed into the restaurant. weird!). We saw "French sparkling cider" on the wine list and being only 20 at the time figured that would be fun and thought it would be like French Martinelli's. They didn't card us but we were surprised to find that it did contain alcohol (about 2.5%). It was very good!

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Hmmm...I've never done that before, but it sounds like fun!

Got a link for suggestions how to put it together?

Link? Ah, no. In my head I was thinking of something like "find a bottle of mead at BevMo or otherwise, and/or bring some varietal honey" and get some folks together and taste stuff. Who and when and how and where is your job. ;)

Components tasting....in my wine class in college the first day we tasted two-component solutions like alcohol-water, sugar-water, tannin-water, acid-water, etc with typical concentrations of each non-water thing. Kind of like deconstructed wine. This way you can figure out the different perceptions of each thing so you can taste a real wine and say "ahh, that tingle comes from the acid component" or "this feels like tannin". Easy to do with mead too, you can pick several components that make up mead and mix up solutions for each. In fact you could probably use the same ones, though the acid blend for wine isn't quite right it will still give you an idea. You can also spike some wine/mead with flaws--add vinegar, let it oxidize overnight, etc and learn to identify those flaws when you know that is the only thing that should be wrong with them. You can buy kits to add things like acetaldehyde too. Fusels you could probably add if you spike it with some airlock-quality vodka, hehe.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
I disagree there is a texture and mouth feel difference between Cider(US) and Apple Juice.

Certainly some manufacturers choose to include more of the "bits" in the stuff they label "cider" and keep the "juice" brilliantly clear. The problem is that this is not a standardized definition, and I personally have seen cloudy juice called "juice" and clear juice called "cider" though it usually is the other way around. As far as suitability for fermentation goes, both are equivalent with the exception that yeast are fond of turbidity so the bits usually found in "cider" may give you some benefit in terms of kinetics.

I just like to keep the term cider for the fermented beverage so that we can all agree that what comes out of a fruit when you squeeze it is "juice". Add yeast (or let it go on its own) and now we call it something else, like "cider" for apples, "perry" for pears, "wine" for grapes, etc. Ideally we would come up with another word for the cloudy juice vs. the clear juice, which for now I'll call "juice" and "clarified juice", respectively. Kind of clumsy, but I'm an engineer and we don't do clever names very well. I realize that this flies in the face of the last 100 years of fruit-squeezing nomenclature in the US, but hey I'm trying to start a revolution here. ;)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns