• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Good Wineglass supplier? Mine broke.

Barrel Char Wood Products

adriank

NewBee
Registered Member
May 30, 2009
South Seattle, WA
www.roadsnw.com
Or Mead glasses in my case.

My wife just broke the last of my old wineglasses from the Upstate NY wine trails that were from the 1980s. Not at all pretentious but nice & heavy, stable, rather durable, thick-stemmed, and a general-purpose style. Those glasses followed my parents and then my wife and I around through 25 years of moves, picnics, winery outings, and whatnot.

I rather miss my nice glasses, which were broken during some autumn-cleaning of the kitchen this past weekend.

Anybody have suggestions for good quality wineglasses?

I really hate the silly thin-stemmed pretentious stuff. Just want a quartet or maybe a half-dozen good honest wine glasses fit for every-day drinking, and willing to spend about $80 for 4-6 of them.

Thanks.

storm1969

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 13, 2005
Columbia, MD
Or Mead glasses in my case.

My wife just broke the last of my old wineglasses from the Upstate NY wine trails that were from the 1980s. Not at all pretentious but nice & heavy, stable, rather durable, thick-stemmed, and a general-purpose style. Those glasses followed my parents and then my wife and I around through 25 years of moves, picnics, winery outings, and whatnot.

I rather miss my nice glasses, which were broken during some autumn-cleaning of the kitchen this past weekend.

Anybody have suggestions for good quality wineglasses?

I really hate the silly thin-stemmed pretentious stuff. Just want a quartet or maybe a half-dozen good honest wine glasses fit for every-day drinking, and willing to spend about $80 for 4-6 of them.

Thanks.

Pretentious or not, they do make a difference in the way the wine/mead tastes.

I had a winemaker years ago pull out some good wineglasses and have us taste the wine from those and the regular tasting room glasses. the difference was startling, and changed the way I viewed glasses.

Split the difference. Don't get the expensive Riedels (sp?), but the are a number of manufacturers from eastern europe that make decent stems for 3$ a stem or so.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
My favorite wine glasses are these very large tulip shaped ones from Luminarc. The 19.5 oz size is big, but the large bulb really allows the aromas to be intensified. They are extremely durable glass and were incredibly cheap. I picked them up at Wally-mart and the set of 4 cost $13 (I grabbed a couple of more sets).

You can check out this thread as well.

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
I love the stemmless Reidels--I pick up a couple from time to time when I go to Target (yes, they have them there, $20 for two). They're delicate, though, true. I'm nervous whenever we use them. :)

The mead looks gorgeous in them, however. I just saw these on Amazon and think they're quite nice as well. They don't look like wine glasses to me, but I like the bees.

The photos are respectively, my Red, White, and Blue, the Pumpkin Mead I just bottled, and Fox Hill's...oh heck, I forget, but it's the dry one with the buckwheat honey.

Arcanum

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 1, 2009
Rochester, NY
(Hey, a use for that wine class I just took!)

Reidel is the way to go if you want top-quality glasses. They are the big name in wine glasses. There's another company that's a bit cheaper but of similar quality, but I can't remember the name. As wildoates mentioned, Target (unexpectedly) carries Reidel glassware.

That said, I don't own any Reidel glassware, as it tends to be a bit pricey. I bought a set of the Luminarc glasses Medsen Fey mentioned, and they're pretty nice. Cheap, cut lip (as opposed to rolled), dishwasher safe.

Whatever you get, make sure it has a cut lip rather than a rolled one.

Fortuna_Wolf

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 24, 2004
I believe that the ones I have are from pier one. They're large, about 20oz or so, very heavy, and very unpretentious - exactly what I wanted and what I think you want. I don't know what they cost new but I got two dozen for $24 at an estate sale. Based on the packaging I believe that they are meant to be water/wine goblets for food service. Perhaps you could look to a food service supplier for your requirements?

Smarrikåka

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 25, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden
www.mjodhamnen.se
I believe that the ones I have are from pier one. They're large, about 20oz or so, very heavy, and very unpretentious - exactly what I wanted and what I think you want. I don't know what they cost new but I got two dozen for $24 at an estate sale. Based on the packaging I believe that they are meant to be water/wine goblets for food service. Perhaps you could look to a food service supplier for your requirements?

I had a look at the Pier1 website and found these http://www.pier1.com/Catalog/Dining...207/ProductName/Classic-Stemware/Default.aspx

Is it any of those?

storm1969

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 13, 2005
Columbia, MD
I use Spiegelau's, older ones from before Riedel bought them. They are great glasses, but every time I break one, they can't be replaced.

I am thinking about buying some of the titanium crystal wine glasses...

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
I'd never heard of the difference between cut and rolled lips on glasses before this thread, and now that it's pointed out to me I can see the difference, and can believe that it has an impact on taste, but I assume this difference is far far subtler than say the difference between an average red and white wine glass?

I know shape has an impact on flavour because of how it "aims" the fluid at your tongue, makes you tip your head, curl your tongue, etc - but beyond that is there really any difference besides durability and looks?

Shouldn't Ikea (or whoever) be able to simply copy the shape of a high end glass, and that's that, assuming they copy the cut/rolled lip as well?

Ignorant young metalhead alert!;)

Sasper

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 19, 2009
I found good sturdy wine glasses that look identical to the last one on the pier 1 website at my local dollar store. The stem is super thick and the glass seems strong. They are rolled lip as well. The glass has minor imperfections but man for a dollar, who cares? I don't think its negatively impacted my enjoyment of mead at all. I love em!

adriank

NewBee
Registered Member
May 30, 2009
South Seattle, WA
www.roadsnw.com
I found good sturdy wine glasses that look identical to the last one on the pier 1 website at my local dollar store. The stem is super thick and the glass seems strong. They are rolled lip as well. The glass has minor imperfections but man for a dollar, who cares? I don't think its negatively impacted my enjoyment of mead at all. I love em!

Yeah, that's the problem for me. Just not really into the whole throw-away thing.

I'd much rather have 4 really good wineglasses for $50 than a shelf-full of stuff that is merely okay.

trennels

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 9, 2009
Knoxville, TN
1502260006lg.jpg

I noticed these are back in stock now at Waterford. Nice and heavy, dishwasher-safe, and not terribly expensive. Some of my favorites and I'm ordering some as a gift as well.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns