• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Acerglyn not clearing

Barrel Char Wood Products

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Like a milk jug?
I'd buy a gallon of distilled/spring water for its bottle before I used a jug that's been used for milk, but I'm funny that way... I'd use plastic gallon juice jugs, water jugs, cider jug but I wouldn't want to run the risk of milk bacteria staying in the plastic... if it's plastic and didn't contain something I'd ferment or add to wine/mead in the first place then it's not something I'd make wine in. But I freely admit, I have my sanitary convictions that may be a little overdone.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, in Ontario you can't just get booze at the corner store either... it's ALL regulated... there are a few grocery stores with a wine or liquor store within but they're generally separate rooms, separate checkout and sometimes even separate hours.

Fisher kel Tath

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 7, 2009
Kalamazoo, MI
DSC_4948.jpg

Figured I'd take a picture as i was changing the airlock.

icedmetal

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 16, 2009
Everett WA
Yup, that just needs to sit for about a year. It'll probably clear up a lot before then, but no point in getting impatient; that's how you end up with sediment in your bottles.

My wife and I bottled our first meads after 8 months. Believe we've found sediment in every bottle. Next time (this time!) we're waiting longer, and ensuring the sediments are gone. We may even use clarifier at some point, but we most assuredly will not bottle while sediment is still dropping. Once it's in the bottle it's a lot of work to contemplate doing anything with it, other than drinking.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Looks like it's coming along nicely. If you're in a terrible rush you could try using sulfite/sorbate to knock out the yeast, then adding a fining agent (Sparkolloid works great for me). Even then you're looking at 2-4 weeks for all that to work, then racking it again and waiting at least another month to make sure it's done dropping fluff. For all we know, after 2 months it might clear on its own. [Saying that, I've rushed clearing a few times myself for similar reasons. Worked fine. ;D]

Chill haze is unlikely, since it fixes itself once the mead warms up. It's usually a protein haze, I believe, and mead won't have much soluble protein in the first place. You're more likely to find it in beer where the mash parameters were a little wonky. And the cure...don't chill it so much! Or you can chill it, form the haze, let the haze settle out, and rack it cold.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
And I tried to read through the old posts too. Whoops!

Sorbate again certainly is unnecessary. Sulfite does wear off over time, however, so if you go a long time between using it to knock out the yeast and bottling time, you might consider another small addition.

Fisher kel Tath

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 7, 2009
Kalamazoo, MI
well aint that something, It cleared (mostly) this week...I attribute it to night time lows in the upper 40s and me sleeping with a window open and a fan on still :p

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns