• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Mazer Cup 2011?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Xixist

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 30, 2008
Near Palm Springs, Ca.
Hello.
The rumors of my demise have been greatly exagerated.
I have taken a year sabatical from Gotmead due to the workings of the universe but I still breathe.

I'm starting my Holiday Mead and it got me to wondering... Is there a Mazer Cup planned for early 2011? I so enjoyed entering the 2009 compitition and learned alot from the experience. If there are any details or rumors, I'd be glad to hear them.
Many thanx, Xixist

capoeirista13

Honey Master
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2008
Philadelphia
I'd say your best bets for information would be the mazer cup website (which I can't link to b/c of work), the mazer cup page on facebook if you have one (once again no link b/c of work), or asking someone on this site like Oskaar for news.

Also - welcome back! I was on a bit of a hiatus as well and just got back into this whole world a week or two ago.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
There are in fact plans for a Mazer Cup International 2011. It will again be in Boulder, but again we will not announce the exact dates until we confirm with the local venue that they can host us, and this year we will also be trying to squeeze it in between several beer brewing events that are typically also held in the early spring. Stay tuned to www.mazercup.com as that site will be updated as soon as the dates are firm, and you can also follow progress on the Mazer Cup Facebook page.

And Welcome Back!!

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
OK - We will be holding the Mazer Cup International, 2011, the weekend of March 31 - April 2, 2011. It appears that the weekend encompassing the last day in March has become our accepted "time," and the AHA calendar shows the Mazer Cup 2011 on that weekend, although this year we'll be starting things one day early (Thursday, March 31) to accommodate more activities.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
The executive committee will be working those details in the next few months, and as soon as all the volunteer requirements for this coming year's bigger and better event have been figured out, we'll post the call for volunteers on the Mazer Cup International website.

djslort

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
I will be attending for the first time this year, and I am trying to schedule my plane flight. I cannot seem to find a schedule of events, either for this year or last. The only event that I have seen scheduled is the Winner Circle event Friday the first. Is there a schedule?

Thanks

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I will be attending for the first time this year, and I am trying to schedule my plane flight. I cannot seem to find a schedule of events, either for this year or last. The only event that I have seen scheduled is the Winner Circle event Friday the first. Is there a schedule?

Thanks

Remember, this is not the International Mead Festival, it is the Mazer Cup International Mead Competition, the only Public Event is the Winners Circle on Friday April 01, 2011 from 7pm - 10pm.

djslort

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
My apologies. I thought, based on postings from past years, that the “Mazer Cup” was held as part of the “International Mead Festival” , the former being the completion portion of the festival. Which is not correct.

When will the Mead Festival be held?

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Dude, no need to apologize.

The International Mead Festival has not been around since 2007. The folks who ran the Home Mead Maker competition as part of the Mead Festival have continued to run both the Home and Commercial competition because we felt that to drop the competitions would be a terrible waste of momentum that was gained over the past few years for both the commercial and home meadmakers around the world.

We spoke with Ken Schramm and he spoke with Dan McConnell and Mike O'Brien about letting us resurrect the Mazer Cup on an international level which we are doing now.

Hope that helps,

Petar "Oskaar" Bakulic

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Hey, you should keep in mind (as should everyone else who reads this), that if you volunteer to help in any capacity (judge, steward, etc.) at the Mazer Cup this year, then you will be involved in the entire event (including ALL the partying, as well as all the work!) ;D

So, go to that Volunteer button on the Mazer Cup website and click it!

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
I'm curious who all is going from these forums. I know a few, but am pretty curious to see who all I'd get to meet if I went.

I'm going to try to make up my mind by tonight darnit!

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
I'm curious who all is going from these forums. I know a few, but am pretty curious to see who all I'd get to meet if I went.

You're going. See how easy that was?

I am pretty psyched to get the chance to be a judge. Hopefully I am needed. Here's a strange question: will I be able to buy mead there? I mean, will the commercial guys bring some extra bottles to sell so I can bring them home if I like them? I have some wine folks here who could use some enlightenment, but I want to bring stuff that is definitely "wow!"

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Colorado liquor laws prohibit commercial sales at the event, but most of the commercial meaderies bring along some promotional samples, and there are always some extra bottles of most commercial entries left over after the judging. Something can be worked out.... ;)

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Alright, fine, I'm going! On my work break later today I'll fill out the volunteer form and buy a ticket to the dinner, then I'll start hunting for flights.

Hopefully stewarding won't be above my skill level! I feel a little bad that I couldn't stay for clean up, but I've got a long way to go to home...

You still have that extra bed available Akueck? I'll take that off your hands. Let me know if you'd rather have paypal in advance or for me to just give you cash/cheque at the event.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I don't think you'll ever regret it. Wish I was going.

Sounds like you'll have a great roomie as well.

I'm sure you can sell your tickets to the Winners Circle to someone else who is attending, or, as Wayne indicated if you volunteer to help you'll be involved in both competitions which will keep you busy both days. You already have tickets to the Winners Circle so that takes care of Friday Night, and since you volunteered and worked both days you would be eligible to attend the awards party.

Take a chance . . . Custer did!

Oskaar

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC

I'll be there, just make sure you keep an eye on your wallet, Wayne get's in touch with his inner-kleptomania after a few meads! ;D

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns