Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Etowah Meadery!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Fusel Shack, in the swamp west of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Default National Mead Day 2010

Just a reminder that tomorrow August 7, 2010 is national mead day which is always a good time to introduce friends and acquaintances to a bad habit.

This year's recipe is a melomel with fruit added to secondary. Their recipe calls for using Wyeast sweet mead yeast, so God bless all those poor devils who are about to encounter a stuck fermentation (though they do advise a starter).

I understand Bnektar meadery is having mead day celebration. Is anyone else out there throwing a party?

For myself, I'll probably start my group brew chocolate tomorrow.

I wish everyone a happy mead day!

Medsen
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon
    (Past years are always better)

Evergreen, CO (west of and above the Denver smog!)

Happy Mead Day, everyone!! I'm going to celebrate tomorrow by getting home (for a whole week this time!!) and drinking some mead!
    Na zdrowie!

Wayne B.

In Saint Louis, we are having a "Meading" at my place. Several of us are gathering in the afternoon to sample a few different meads. Should be fun!

I am gonna brew up some Coffee Mead.

The recipe says Wyeast or whatever yeast you want! I plan to use 71b.

We are going to join Northern Brewer in Milwaukee tomorrow. The Milwaukee Beer Barons, represented by my wife and I, are starting 13 batches of mead. I am sure there will be others, and NB is making some too.

First is the Mead Day Recipe. We will use either Black Locust or Basswood. Might be Orange Blossom too, but I doubt it. Will decide which later tonight. My wife, the Mead Queen, has decreed that it will be a multi berry melomel. We have about 15 lbs of fruit in the freezer. We are modifying a bit and putting half in the primary which the recipe does not call for. But it only calls for about half that fruit. We usually put at least 15 lbs in 5 gallons!

We are planning on doing some mead classes next year. So making a bunch of traditional meads for sampling. Basswood, Black Locust, Orange Blossom, Alfalfa, Clover, Orange Blossom from another source, Sunflower, Cranberry Blossom, Wildflower, Buckwheat, Blueberry Blossom, and Mesquite. We are keeping about 3 ounces of each honey to taste with the finsihed mead. Each is 12 lbs of honey and 3 gallons of water. Using the staggered nutrient addition method on them. 3.6 grams of nutrient and DAP at start, 2.2 grams of each after a day or two, then 1.4 grams of each another day or two later. Mesquite is rare in this part of the world. I could only find it at Trader Joes, and it is a bit expensive. Only making a 1 gallon batch of that with 3 lbs of honey.
    - Jeff

Gonna start a roadtrip down the California coast with my wife tomorrow. Lotsa redwoods, then we're going to swing through Sunnyvale and check out Rabbit's Foot Meadery. Then it's on to Knott's Berry Farm, then a wedding, where we will of course bestow upon the bride and groom a bottle or two of our finest mead. Honeymoon, right? Meeting up with lots of relatives, and bringing enough mead so they all get a bottle. I'll be a little behind on the date (8/7), but at the end of the day, we'll have introduced a few dozen new folks to the wonders of mead.

And of course if they start sounding like they'd like to make some, I'm pretty sure I know the resource to which we'll point them... gotmead.com.

...which'll make this post quite amusing if they were to see it.
    "I've never forgotten anything that I can remember."

No mead day for me this year, because although I am in what is arguably the stereotypic home of mead, nobody seems to know what it is and nobody drinks it. Woe!

sima74 Gotmead Visitor

Looks like I found the right day to start up my first large batch of mead with the proper equipment. I love it when a plan comes together.

Hmmm...,

Guess I'll have to sample (for quality checks of course!) the three I got going right now in primary/brand new secondary.

There is, of course, batches 1 & 2 that may need 2nd year checks!

Eric
    Magnificent, Enchanting, Alcohol Delight - MEAD!

Funny, Aug 7 is my brothers birthday, his gift is a bottle of mead.
    Accumulate as much knowledge as you can about something, and the rest will come through practice.

Brewlog V3 for all your logging needs.

I'm going to have some folks over, I'll be doing a taste of my 4-strain yeast test (last bottles!) and hopefully the heat/no heat meads. And whatever else I can dig up from the closet. And some Rabbit's Foot.

I fully intend to be more sober than last year though.
    Want to see something added to the GotMead Glossary? PM me! Didn't know we had a glossary? Check the top row of links.

Unhappy

Happy mead day to all!
    I’m new to the home brew game, so I have nothing to celebrate with this year. However, I have six one gallon batches of JAO in the making. It should be aged real nice for next year.
    Be safe. Please don’t drink and drive. We need you.
    “Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!”

slàinte mhath

Good Mead day to you!

I shall be lifting a glass and toasting the day this evening with a batch of my finest I have made to date...

Best to drink quality, then it is to drink quantity? Unless you can do both...!
    It is good to be King of the Meadery...

Default Happy mead day!

O.K., so what I did to celebrate mead day this year was to become a paid patron at Gotmead.com.

Happy mead day to me,
    Happy mead day to me…
    “Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!”

slàinte mhath

Well in celebration of Mead Day I bottled my Joe's Quick Pyment that I started back in May and I'll be quaffing some this evening while watching the UFC pay per view at a friend's house......I'm sure it'll add a little class to the evening.....at least until the first couple of bottles are gone.........

I guess in hindsight I should have saved a bottle of the traditional I did a little over a year ago but what was left went into topping up my cyser....oh well.....
    Cheers,

Jord

Quote Originally Posted by mmclean View Post
    O.K., so what I did to celebrate mead day this year was to become a paid patron at Gotmead.com.

Happy mead day to me,
    Happy mead day to me…
    Well Done!

And lo shall I raise a bottle of ginger hydromel. After a jog. But I racked five batches and (re)bottled one yesterday, that's gotta count for something, right?
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014

And Oh what a glorious Mead Day it is!
    Starting a Mango Habanero..only a 2 gallon batch since my neighbors pilfered my Mango tree...GRRRHHH Then a nice evening stroll on the beach sharing a bottle of RazaPotle with my love.

Happy Mead Day
    Blessed Be the Bees
    Tygia
    My favorite artist is Harry Houdini-maybe that's what I'm trying to be-a magician~Dale Chihuly

Default Good mead day to all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tannin Boy View Post
    I shall be lifting a glass and toasting the day this evening with a batch of my finest I have made to date...

Best to drink quality, then it is to drink quantity? Unless you can do both...!
    I too will be toasting the day with a 14 month old bottle of dry, traditional, goldenrod mead. And then perhaps open up a smaller bottle of the sparkling version of the same!

Cheers 'n' 'nat! (<---- Pittsburghese for "Cheers and all the good stuff that goes with it as well!")

Quote Originally Posted by Chevette Girl View Post
    And lo shall I raise a bottle of ginger hydromel. After a jog. But I racked five batches and (re)bottled one yesterday, that's gotta count for something, right?
    A days accomplishment Indeed and then some.
    The Ginger Hydromel sounds great..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast