• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Stalled?

Barrel Char Wood Products

1k_wayne

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 18, 2010
Wisconsin
Update: Mostly clear but hard to tell because it's so dark, my Streamlight barely penetrates the carboy. Racked out of the secondary this morning, SG of 1.020 and had to sample a glass. This is going to be really hard to let it age. I might have to start another batch right away. ;D

1k_wayne

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 18, 2010
Wisconsin
I started another batch the last weekend of February. Starting Gravity was slightly lower at 1.120, and it was holding at 1.010 on March 12 when I racked it onto the blueberries in the secondary. It started up after that and looks like it's still going a week later. :dontknow:

Same source for blueberries and honey, yeast and nutrients are the same with the exception of Go-Ferm, I only rehydrated with water on this one. I've kept the temp at 68F too. I know every batch is different, but I've never had them this much different.

1k_wayne

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 18, 2010
Wisconsin
Update: This batch turned out to be the best that's ever come out of my carboys. I'm still not sure why, as the two I've done since using the same recipe and ingredients and were nowhere near as good and are going to need to be aged. I've still got 8 bottles left, and it's going to be really hard to let them age.

1k_wayne

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 18, 2010
Wisconsin
The one I started in Feb went down to 1.010 (OG was lower), the one I started in March finished at 1.022, slightly higher than the one from this thread, and I can't see .002 making that big of a difference. :confused:

1k_wayne

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 18, 2010
Wisconsin
Second batch was the only one that was different. I had more go-ferm by the time I started the third batch.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns