• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Shipping

Barrel Char Wood Products

beekind

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2008
Vermont
How does everyone 'send' mead to each other? I've come across references to this in the brewlog and when people are shipping meads to competitions.

I thought shipping alcohol was illegal unless one had a license to do so. Is everyone just trying to fly under the radar, or am I totally off base, here?

YogiBearMead726

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Francisco, CA
How does everyone 'send' mead to each other? I've come across references to this in the brewlog and when people are shipping meads to competitions.

I thought shipping alcohol was illegal unless one had a license to do so. Is everyone just trying to fly under the radar, or am I totally off base, here?

You're basically right. But, private companies (ie UPS, FedEx, and DHL) are all pretty lax in comparison to the USPS. It's basically up to them if you disclose that it's alcohol whether to ship it. I know some people use markings like "Yeast sample" or something of the like with success. Personally, I just make friends with the person behind the counter, tell them it's olive oil or vinegar, and away it goes. At worst, they open and drink it. But I haven't had a problem sending it unmarked with the private companies.

Hope this helps. :)

beekind

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2008
Vermont
Thanks, for your advice.

"Yeast sample"...very good advice. ;D

Has anyone here been busted?

phreebyrd

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 17, 2009
College Station, TX
shippin

man i know TABC is watching this thread SPIES EVERYWHERE!!!!!:eek::glasses7::bootyshake:.... no really what about those boxes that "if it fits it ships" can we do that?

YogiBearMead726

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Francisco, CA
man i know TABC is watching this thread SPIES EVERYWHERE!!!!!:eek::glasses7::bootyshake:.... no really what about those boxes that "if it fits it ships" can we do that?

I'm pretty sure that's the US Postal Service. So, no. They have a zero tolerance policy, and more than likely will drink your mead. If not that, they'll toss it. It may be pricey, but if you want to send alcohol, it's gonna have to be with one of the private companies, not a government agency. You can try declaring it as "cooking wine", but I don't know how hard that is to do...

If you do decide to use the flat-rate boxes, it's at your own descretion...

phreebyrd

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 17, 2009
College Station, TX
nnaaaaa thats ok.....i damn sure dont trust the govment with my mead!!! i wanna send some to darth booger in san antonio but ill probably just drive up there!!

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Transporting homemade alcohol (i.e. to competitions) is legal in most states where homebrewing is allowed. States that allow brewing but not transporting do exist, and folks are lobbying for transport to become legal. I'm not sure if UPS/FedEx counts under "transport" explicitly, but it is sort of a don't ask don't tell kind of situation. Definitely don't give your stuff to USPS, sending alcohol with them is illegal no matter who made it or if you have a license.

If you want to be totally above board, you can find a local distributor and ask them to ship it for you (e.g. a winery). Presumably most of them will say no, but you don't know until you ask.

phreebyrd

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 17, 2009
College Station, TX
Transporting homemade alcohol (i.e. to competitions) is legal in most states where homebrewing is allowed. States that allow brewing but not transporting do exist, and folks are lobbying for transport to become legal. I'm not sure if UPS/FedEx counts under "transport" explicitly, but it is sort of a don't ask don't tell kind of situation. Definitely don't give your stuff to USPS, sending alcohol with them is illegal no matter who made it or if you have a license.

If you want to be totally above board, you can find a local distributor and ask them to ship it for you (e.g. a winery). Presumably most of them will say no, but you don't know until you ask.

well if i cant mail it an i cant drive the only other option is to have scotty beam it over ;D

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns