• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Solstice Lunar Eclipse

Barrel Char Wood Products

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
I saw an article from the Montreal Gazette about the rare occurrence of a lunar eclipse falling on the winter solstice this year. Apparently this hasn't happened for more than 450 years (Since 1554 to be exact).

I'm not sure if that means this is an auspicious time to start some new mead (or to drink some old mead :) ), but I'm inclined to get up tonight to go out and watch it. And I'm planning to take some with me.

Perhaps someone familiar with pagan beliefs (Wiccan or otherwise) can educate us on the subject if there are any special meanings to the event.

Medsen

YogiBearMead726

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Francisco, CA
I'm not sure if that means this is an auspicious time to start some new mead (or to drink some old mead :) ), but I'm inclined to get up tonight to go out and watch it. And I'm planning to take some with me.

That's my plan too! :) Driving out to the desert with some mead to drink with a few friends and enjoy this once-in-a-lifetime event. Should be pretty fun, assuming the rain goes away...

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
I'm hoping that we have a clear sky out our way, since the deck on our house faces perfectly due south, and the time of maximal totality in our time zone will place the moon almost at its highest position in the sky (between midnight and 1AM) - a nearly perfect arrangement, if we get clear weather. And this may call for a glass or two of Wolf Moon mead to go along with the event -- I did find a second bottle squirreled away in a far corner of the rack. I think this would be a good time to open it!

socrates6

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 14, 2010
Celina, Texas
I'm really excited. I think that its a good sign for my Strawberry Melomel that I am about to start. NASA says we haven't had a Lunar Eclipse on The Winter Solstice since 1638. That correlates nicely with my plan to use Brochet/Bochet "burnt" honey in my recipe.

It's going to be nice outside too, well at least here in North Texas. It's 66° right now and will only be around 60° at 2:00am when it passes over us. I'm going to take some pictures for my wife and little girls.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
The BBC news are showing views of it from Belfast, because they've had the clearest night (-17.6 degrees C). We've too much cloud here, but apparently it will be "full" at 0741 GMT, so should still be dark enough to see some of it....

regards

fatbloke

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
We had a good view of it this AM as it was crystal clear here and the moon was in full view from our back patio. We sat outside bundled up like Eskimos (it was about 55F) sipping some mulled mayhaw melomel to ward off the chill. :icon_shaking:

It was kind of an odd hour for some quality family time without TV, Ipod, smartphones, computers or any other distractions, but quite honestly, maybe my family needs to do something like this more often.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
I was out with my boys, bundled up (it was a mere 22F here) and cozy with a cup of the Wolf Moon... not a bad way to see a once in 400 year event! Anne was the "smart" one, keeping the bed warm while I was out and about. We had an incredible view as the clouds had all but disappeared by 11PM local time, and totality started just before 1AM. I lasted until just before 1AM. ;D

Not the first one that I've seen, but certainly one of the best.

chiguire

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 27, 2010
Katy, TX
My wife and I stayed up for it. It was nice.

Lunar eclipse = good

1.5 year old son waking up at 3:00 am and puking the rest of the night = bad

I am tired now...

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Of course, I'm really dying to hear about Oskaar or Wrathwilde's adventures. I'm guessing there were naked red-heads dancing around a fire in the moonlight or some such.

Certainly there was nothing like that around the Fusel Shack, but maybe next time...

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
Of course, I'm really dying to hear about Oskaar or Wrathwilde's adventures. I'm guessing there were naked red-heads dancing around a fire in the moonlight or some such.

Certainly there was nothing like that around the Fusel Shack, but maybe next time...

Happy Saturnalia Eveybody!
The celebration for us begins in under 3 hours, and lasts the customary 7 days.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns