• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Cleaning out the freezers again...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I went looking for something at the bottom of my big freezer so I emptied, inventoried and de-iced it while I was there... and since I'd done that I figured why not do the small one while I was at it... and while I was at it, I weighed all stored fruit intended for wine on the way back in... 100 lbs, not including the stuff I'd put away to make smoothies with before it got too cold. Sometimes I wonder why I even get started on things ... :rolleyes:

[Edit - because if I don't, I end up with 100 lbs of fruit in my freezer...]

So, added to the three frozen pumpkins in the garage that I'd better get to when they thaw, I'd better get my basement operation up and running ASAP!

Highlights include:
6 lb tart apples (small yellow and too sour to eat but not crabapple-flavoured)
3-1/2 lb black raspberries
4 lb strawberries
11-1/2 lb blackberries
5 lb black currants
15 lb red currants
6 lb pears
12 lb pear pulp (frozen after making jelly)
5 lb plums
9-1/2 lb rhubarb
2 lb blueberries

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with those tart apples, and the plans for the blackberries include a blackberry port and lots of blackberry JAO-style... definitely a batch or two of pear is in order, looks like enough for a gallon of black raspberry and 5 gal red currant, a gallon of plum, two gal black currant and I might finally have enough for 5 gal of red raspberry wine. Guess I have my work cut out for me!!

Anyone got any interesting suggestions?

I'm kind of tickled at the notion of doing a strawberry-rhubarb batch...

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Hee, nope, I don't have enough fermenters for that! Even if I thought it would all work together... I'm thinking I'll get the pumpkin mead started this week before the garage thaws out and they turn to mush, get the maple mead bottled to make room for it, try for 5 gal of raspberry (I might have to blow another $20 at the store for frozen, I don't think 15 lb is quite enough for 5 gal but I'll have to check my logbook and the original recipe), then bottle the pear-raisin wine to make room for it, then I've got a bunch of batches in need of fining or filtration before I can bottle, and THEN I'll start working on the blackberry port and some more blackberry JAO... then strawberry rhubarb, and then I'll start figuring out what to do with all the rest of it :)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns