Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!

Thread: Score!

Default Score!

So today and tomorrow are testing days for our 10th graders (and the 11th and 12th graders who haven't passed the high school exit exam yet), and even though I don't have tenth graders, I got lucky to be picked to administer the exam in my room anyway.

(For you non-teachers out there, that was extreme sarcasm).

One of my colleagues missed out on that lottery, so during the 3 hour testing period he took it upon himself to return order to the chaos that was our downstairs prep room, organizing and tossing a lot of stuff. He inexplicably came across TWO class carboys hiding under one of the tables, so guess what? I have two more carboys! Yay!

We have several plastic carboys that we use to store deionized water when it trickles out of the still, but nobody seems to know where the glass ones came from...or at least, nobody's fessin' up.

Score! Clearly I need to make more mead.
    Last edited by wildoates; 03-09-2011 at 12:00 AM. Reason: I see this is post 1600!

And, if he's a drinker, reward your colleague's initiative for tidying your prep room with something that's passed through the new carboys!
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014

He is, and I do owe him some mead.

That's pretty awesome! My girlfriend's dad works for a local school district, and is always bringing home abandoned stuff. That said, most of it winds up in the garage, since none of it is very useful. The most useful things he brings home are unused reams of school letterhead paper.

I guess this find really made up for administering such a wonderfully boring test.
    Find what you like, and hone it to perfection.

And don't serve dodgy mead!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by wildoates View Post
    ...We have several plastic carboys that we use to store deionized water when it trickles out of the still, but nobody seems to know where the glass ones came from...or at least, nobody's fessin' up.

Score! Clearly I need to make more mead.
    Wait. You have a still. At a school?

The Fusel Shack, in the swamp west of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlchemist View Post
    You have a still. At a school?
    Sounds like I need to sign up for some adult education.
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon
    (Past years are always better)

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlchemist View Post
    Wait. You have a still. At a school?
    Yeah! I have to assume this is for producing distilled water for science experiments and/or doing science experiments?

I'm guessing the effects of alcohol on cognition don't count as proper experiments for this ... ;-)
    Bees stole my signature file!

Quote Originally Posted by biochemedic View Post
    Yeah! I have to assume this is for producing distilled water for science experiments and/or doing science experiments?
    This. Sorry, guys!

But...aren't you allowed to distill alcohol for scientific purposes?

The Fusel Shack, in the swamp west of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Yes, if it is denatured.
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon
    (Past years are always better)

We did it in university chemistry lab, fractional distillation, known amount of ethanol, known amount of water, figure out the efficiency (how much ethanol was recovered and how pure was it)... now if only I could remember how efficient it actually was
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014