Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Etowah Meadery!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Eyes

Ooooohhh nooo...The Farmer's Market is open...now I'll be looking in every stall for fermentables...what about mushrooms?
    Making Mead With TLC since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlchemist View Post
    Ooooohhh nooo...The Farmer's Market is open...now I'll be looking in every stall for fermentables...what about mushrooms?
    Well, I've been wanting to do a mushroom mead forever, but I might be thinking of a very special variety that you're not thinking of.

~AToE (A Thing of Eternity... it's a nerd thing...)

AKA: Alan H

Quote Originally Posted by AToE View Post
    Well, I've been wanting to do a mushroom mead forever, but I might be thinking of a very special variety that you're not thinking of.

Now, that's interesting, but dosing might be hard to judge.

Quote Originally Posted by chams View Post
    Now, that's interesting, but dosing might be hard to judge.
    I figure for the right amount of flavour (just a subtle to medium amount) I'd work it out to about 1 gram per 750ml bottle. Don't want it too powerful tasting.
    ~AToE (A Thing of Eternity... it's a nerd thing...)

AKA: Alan H

I figure for the right amount of flavour (just a subtle to medium amount) I'd work it out to about 1 gram per 750ml bottle. Don't want it too powerful tasting.
    Have you done this experiment yet?

CSA boxes arriving w/ oregano, thyme...

This would be an easy one to screw up and make overpowering. Take care, a lousy mead might upset your stomach.
    Mae'r teithiau golau ceffyl eto

I do love re-purposing. Found some squares of muslin I'd saved for who-knows-why and have transformed them into fruit bags. Will use in my first mel!

Getting new ears, too. With the current 2 batches, I'm just keeping them in the primary covered w/ a bleached towel, so I can hear them snapcracklepopping...

Looking in my freezer...wondering

"Is that shelf tall enough to accommodate a galon jug?"

I am currently doing bacon and tomato/garlic/olive...yeah, I'd say my eyes have been opened to possibilities of fermentation.

And the shelf issue vs cold crashing is a big issue at my house because it's not just my fridge. Sigh, some people just don't understand.

I think if I ever cold-crash anything it's going to have to be in a cooler covered with ice packs or surrounded by frozen plastic jugs. With 4 adults in the house, fridge space is already at a premium...
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014

The Fusel Shack, in the swamp west of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Chevette Girl View Post
    With 4 adults in the house, fridge space is already at a premium...
    Uhhh....
    Geography wasn't my strongest subject, but from where I sit, Ottowa (and all of Canada for that matter, as well as pretty much all of the U.S above Orlando) looks like it's in the Arctic circle. You ought to be able to cold crash some things pretty easily.
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon
    (Past years are always better)

Quote Originally Posted by Medsen Fey View Post
    Uhhh....
    Geography wasn't my strongest subject, but from where I sit, Ottowa (and all of Canada for that matter, as well as pretty much all of the U.S above Orlando) looks like it's in the Arctic circle. You ought to be able to cold crash some things pretty easily.
    Silly American, it doesn't start snowing as soon as you hit the border, you know...what DO they teach you at these schools of yours? Southerners...

It's a pleasant 20 degrees Celsius right now (I'm finally voluntarily wearing long pants again and it rained so today was the first time I've worn a jacket since the spring) but over the weekend the indoor temp of my house was in the mid-30's. Gimme a minute and I'll put it in American units... Ok, right now it's around 68F and this weekend it was in the 90's.

From what I know, you want it around 40F to cold-crash, right? It'll be a while before that's any kind of stable here, I'd get the sun if I put it out the back door on the balcony (southern exposure) but the garage should hold around/just above freezing for about a month starting mid-December and then it'll be below freezing until probably March (although I just got an insulated garage door so that might change things). Problem is, the garage is a flight of stairs away from either brewing area.
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Chevette Girl View Post
    Silly American, it doesn't start snowing as soon as you hit the border, you know...what DO they teach you at these schools of yours? Southerners...

It's a pleasant 20 degrees Celsius right now (I'm finally voluntarily wearing long pants again and it rained so today was the first time I've worn a jacket since the spring) but over the weekend the indoor temp of my house was in the mid-30's. Gimme a minute and I'll put it in American units... Ok, right now it's around 68F and this weekend it was in the 90's.

From what I know, you want it around 40F to cold-crash, right? It'll be a while before that's any kind of stable here, I'd get the sun if I put it out the back door on the balcony (southern exposure) but the garage should hold around/just above freezing for about a month starting mid-December and then it'll be below freezing until probably March (although I just got an insulated garage door so that might change things). Problem is, the garage is a flight of stairs away from either brewing area.
    So you mean all of Canada is not white rocky mountains and police on horses with funny hats and smart uniforms? huh... Who'd have thunk it?

Quote Originally Posted by kudapucat View Post
    So you mean all of Canada is not white rocky mountains and police on horses with funny hats and smart uniforms? huh... Who'd have thunk it?
    I'll tellya another secret... we don't actually live in igloos either.

Oh... :-(
    But you do club baby seals and wear big fur coats right?

Oh, no, fur is SO passť, it's plaid flannel jackets!

But the seal clubbing, now that's a national sport, kind of like your kangaroo-boxing down Under!

Please, don't forget the cane toad races, or the annual desert regatta down the dry river bed, the Birdsville races, where you have to fly in in a light plane and land inside the racetrack, not to mention the crazy game we call "football".
    We also have the longest fence in the world and the longest straight stretch of road and the biggest rock. We got all kinds of crazy here.
    Ppl say everything's big in Texas, we've got privately owned cattle stations bigger than Texas!
    I've not even started on the made up stuff yet ;-)

Why ppl think we ride kangaroos when there's so many real outdo things we do us beyond me. ;-)

Eureka! My parents have a crabapple tree! How is it I didn't notice that before?! Another something to ferment! They're tiny tough.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast