Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 59

Thread: New Eyes

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    near a lake
    Posts
    2,464

    Cool New Eyes

    Making mead gives me a pair.

    I find myself peeking in the pantry and wondering "could I make mead with that?"

    Anybody out there ever take time lapse photos of yeasties at bubblework?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Evergreen, CO (west of and above the Denver smog!)
    Posts
    5,794

    Default

    No, but I wish now that I'd taken a video of a stawberry mead that I did a few years back. Large chunks of fruit (in secondary, mind you) were riding the "CO2 Express" elevator to the top of my carboy, discharging their gas bubbles, and then dropping back down. The whole effect made the carboy contents look like it was being constantly stirred up from the bottom. What a cool thing to watch!
    Na zdrowie!

    Wayne B.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Calgary AB Canada
    Posts
    4,066

    Default

    I like to ferment in glass whenever possible any time I'm using fruit with big seeds like raspberry, just so that I can watch this very effect! It ends up looking like they're being shot out of cannons from the bottom with big plumes of sediment following them, loads of fun!
    ~AToE (A Thing of Eternity... it's a nerd thing...)

    AKA: Alan H

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tennessee Valley
    Posts
    1,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AToE View Post
    I like to ferment in glass whenever possible any time I'm using fruit with big seeds like raspberry, just so that I can watch this very effect! It ends up looking like they're being shot out of cannons from the bottom with big plumes of sediment following them, loads of fun!
    Oh, you crazy canuk.
    “Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!”

    slàinte mhath

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Calgary AB Canada
    Posts
    4,066

    Default

    Hey, that's spelled Canuck! We like our redundant letters and are sticking with em!

    (Any one else frustrated by the existance of the letter C? I'm sure it does stuff in other languages, but in English all it does is sound like S or K, or be combined into CH (which could be replaced by KH easily)... bah, I'm a bit of a goof with linguistics!)
    ~AToE (A Thing of Eternity... it's a nerd thing...)

    AKA: Alan H

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tennessee Valley
    Posts
    1,128

    Default

    Sorry, my bad.
    “Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!”

    slàinte mhath

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Elk Grove, CA
    Posts
    2,373

    Default

    I sure notice honey varieties more than I used to!

    I don't ever primary in a carboy for one important reason: terminal laziness. A bunch of secondary reasons as well, but the primary reason (har har har) is that I don't want to wash the things.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AToE View Post
    or be combined into CH (which could be replaced by KH easily)... bah, I'm a bit of a goof with linguistics!)
    Uh..."Chuck Chose Cheeseburger" -> "Khuk Khose Kheeseburger"? Damn...Canadians are worse than Newzealanders
    Please excuse me for asking lots of question. It's really your fault! Because you're an awesome group of people too willing to answer questions, I just find more thing I wonder about as I learn more. So, sorry for that

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Calgary AB Canada
    Posts
    4,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiwas View Post
    Uh..."Chuck Chose Cheeseburger" -> "Khuk Khose Kheeseburger"? Damn...Canadians are worse than Newzealanders
    Oh it's not a Canadian thing, I just have a personal vendetta against the letter C for it's being useless. Of course, it does look nice when written down...
    ~AToE (A Thing of Eternity... it's a nerd thing...)

    AKA: Alan H

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    near a lake
    Posts
    2,464

    Default Score!

    I've been watching a thread for an ancient recipe that uses birch sap.

    Usually, around me, birch don't make the 10" diameter cut that would make tapping the tree safe for the tree.

    BUT! Now, with my New Eyes, I see there's a huge birch across the street!

    God Bless the Mead Maker's eyes...
    Oh, and "Blessed are the cheese makers..."

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    8,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AToE View Post
    Oh it's not a Canadian thing, I just have a personal vendetta against the letter C for it's being useless. Of course, it does look nice when written down...
    AToE's opinion of the letter C is not necessarily the opinion of the whole country... Brought to you by the other redundant letters X and Q...


    ... why do I suddenly feel like watching Sesame Street...
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The OC
    Posts
    7,874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AToE View Post
    Oh it's not a Canadian thing, I just have a personal vendetta against the letter C for it's being useless. Of course, it does look nice when written down...
    You should switch to Croatian we have three C letters and none are a K sound!

    There's C which sounds like the TS in caTS, then there's Č which sounds like the first CH in CHurch, and then there's Ć which sounds like the last CH in churCH, and is what most people mispronounce as a 'K' when they see a last name like Bakulić.


    Is it tasty . . . precious?

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAlchemist View Post
    I've been watching a thread for an ancient recipe that uses birch sap.

    Usually, around me, birch don't make the 10" diameter cut that would make tapping the tree safe for the tree.

    BUT! Now, with my New Eyes, I see there's a huge birch across the street!

    God Bless the Mead Maker's eyes...
    Oh, and "Blessed are the cheese makers..."
    TA,

    I'm finding the same thing....Lookin for new sources of trees
    Sadly I have a 14" birch that is behind my neighbors house and
    the Ice storm got it a few years back... Never thought I would be sad
    to see a dead tree like that! Dam, that sucker could have been a gold mine.

    TB

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Calgary AB Canada
    Posts
    4,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oskaar View Post
    You should switch to Croatian we have three C letters and none are a K sound!

    There's C which sounds like the TS in caTS, then there's Č which sounds like the first CH in CHurch, and then there's Ć which sounds like the last CH in churCH, and is what most people mispronounce as a 'K' when they see a last name like Bakulić.


    Ha, good point, my buddy is Croatian and I kept pronouncing the C at the beginning of his name as K, even though it's TS (it's hard to put that tiny bit of T before the S sound, very Cantonese sounding almost). Also, he has that CH at the end of his name that's pronounced as SH.
    ~AToE (A Thing of Eternity... it's a nerd thing...)

    AKA: Alan H

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Corrales, NM
    Posts
    355

    Default

    On the other hand be glad you don't play a txistu where the txi is pronounced the same as the che in cheese.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    8,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AToE View Post
    Ha, good point, my buddy is Croatian and I kept pronouncing the C at the beginning of his name as K, even though it's TS (it's hard to put that tiny bit of T before the S sound, very Cantonese sounding almost). Also, he has that CH at the end of his name that's pronounced as SH.
    My husband's half Slovenian so my new last name has a C in it that nobody ever gets right... How do YOU think "Ermenc" should be pronounced? I'll give you a clue, it sure ain't a K-like sound...
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Evergreen, CO (west of and above the Denver smog!)
    Posts
    5,794

    Default

    Slavic languages are simply phonetically richer than the romance languages; there's no way around it!

    For example, when the Poles decided to adopt the Roman alphabet they tried really hard not to add a bunch of diacritical marks to letters. They couldn't resist a few, but for the most part they indicated different consonant sounds by combinations of letters, which is why for example my surname (in the proper Polish spelling) is Bonczyk. My grandfather was forced to drop the z when he went through Ellis Island, because the immigration guard there couldn't understand what he was trying to say, so he "simplified" our name for us.

    Anyway, you can have lots of diacritic variations as are found in Czech and Croatian, or you can simply expect it to be understood in context (as in Slovenian, and for the most part, Slovak) or you can end up with things like szcz, szw, ncz, etc, as you find in Polish.
    Na zdrowie!

    Wayne B.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    near a lake
    Posts
    2,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wayneb View Post
    ...or you can end up with things like szcz, szw, ncz, etc...
    God Bless You!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    near a lake
    Posts
    2,464

    Default

    I am paying more attention now to the seasons, to what is in season when, to what I can ferment... Can't wait for the CSA boxes to start coming.
    Making Mead With TLC since 2010

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    near a lake
    Posts
    2,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medsen Fey View Post
    I have a coconut tree in the backyard, and I haven't gotten around to trying a recipe like this yet. Shame on me...
    Use your Mazer's eyes!
    I wonder if it's fermentable whenever I look at just about anything...
    Making Mead With TLC since 2010

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •