• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

I have a good sword

Barrel Char Wood Products

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Chevette: hmm...that's actually a good idea. Except for the country wine. I'd rather drink directly from the toilet. I don't like coffee either ;)

If you're ever in Ottawa (yeah, I know, about as much chance as me coming to Oslo), come by for some of my red currant wine, it kicks SO much ass you'll forgive it for not having honey in it. The black currant wine too, for that matter... I got into fruit wines because I don't care for grape wines and I like making things out of local harvests, and one can only make and eat so much jam and jelly, and I've found that a lot of fruits completely cover the taste of the honey, which is why I suggested it, there have been times when sampling my wares where I had to go back to my log book to figure out if I'd used honey or sugar before I started labelling them as such, I really couldn't tell.

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
You never know about Oslo, CG--I certainly never expected to go there, but my son went and fell for a Norwegian girl and she stole my boy from his mamma's clutches, er...I mean loving arms...and spirited him off to Oslo. Life has some twists and turns sometimes!

Tiwas

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 30, 2011
Oslo, Norway
You never know about Oslo, CG--I certainly never expected to go there, but my son went and fell for a Norwegian girl and she stole my boy from his mamma's clutches, er...I mean loving arms...and spirited him off to Oslo. Life has some twists and turns sometimes!

Well...I, for one, would never trust someone who'd willingly move to Norway. Can't be right in the head :p

Tiwas

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 30, 2011
Oslo, Norway
I'm used to unpacking girls, and I actually kind of prefer it. :) Oh...and cute girls need extra body heat to keep them from freezing ;)

Tiwas

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 30, 2011
Oslo, Norway
Soooo...who's going to make a complete timeline with map of the migrations of single girls between 25 and 35? I'd hate to end up in Florida when it's filled with 16 year olds, and I'm not into geriatrics :p

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake
Soooo...who's going to make a complete timeline with map of the migrations of single girls between 25 and 35? I'd hate to end up in Florida when it's filled with 16 year olds, and I'm not into geriatrics :p

Hey!
You callin' any cute girl over 35 "geriatric!?"

Tiwas

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 30, 2011
Oslo, Norway
Hey!
You callin' any cute girl over 35 "geriatric!?"

haha! No - there are lots of women over 35 who are sexy as...uhm...something very sexy :p However, since I'm 37 and don't have kids I want someone who are as likely as possible to have kids. And...most women over 40 are done with the stage of their lives ;)

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
I was done having kids at 25, almost 30 years ago now. And even if I wasn't, I'm short and round and far from the stereotypical California girl, more's the pity. But I guess both grass and girls are greener in some other country, or at least on the other side of the fence. :cool: if you want to meet some California girls (sans parkas), Tiwas, hitch a ride with the kids when they come in May. You can spend two weeks searching for a young miss who won't move to Oslo. :rolleyes: Plus, if he hasn't left on his grand adventure yet, you can meet Aaron, who always has both brewing ideas and things to taste!

And I'm laughing my tukus off to hear someone talk about going "down" to Canada. Snort!

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
And I'm laughing my tukus off to hear someone talk about going "down" to Canada. Snort!

That made me laugh too! We used to have a segment on a comedy show called "Talking to Americans" where the guy would go down to the USA and pretend to be getting people's opinion on serious issues in Canada - stuff like the seal hunt in Alberta (land locked), the melting of our National Igloo due to global warming (he told them our Parliment building was made of snow), and our President "John Poutine" doing this or that. The best was when he went to Harvard and got the professors talking about all kinds of insane things that could never possibly be true.

Anyways, this made me think of that because there was one whole segment of people saying "good luck with the seal hunt to our Canadian friends to the south" (I wonder if those people thought Mexico was north?).

To be fair though (we Canadians like a good joke, but even then feel the need to be nice about it) every segment would have Americans also catching the guy in lies - funny thing was it was usually the children who would say something like "Hang on, Canada has provinces not states!".

I'm sure the same show could be done in reverse, getting Canadians saying ridiculous things about Americans. ;D

chams

Worker Bee
Registered Member
LOL! One batch!! In a year!! Silly man!! Bwahaahaahaahaa!!!! :happy6:

OK, seriously, I realize honey's painfully expensive for you. You could also branch out into country wines as well, using whatever fruit's available and sugar as you main fermentable :)

Chevette Girl, when you use sugar as your fermentable, what kind do you use?
If it's just regular table sugar, do you use it as is, or do you invert it?
The skeeter pee recipe which was referred to in the forum mentions heating table sugar with water and lemon juice to invert it.
I'm curious if this is required, or just makes the ferment easier.

chams

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Upon some other reading it seems I'm more confused. Some say to invert the table sugar, and some say it's debatable...
Apparently, the yeast with citric acid will split the sucrose into glucose and fructose as the first stage of ferment anyway.
Inquiring minds want to know. ???

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
Oh, I realize the geography of it, but when you live in the US which is capped by Canada, it sounds as wrong as someone from my neck of the woods saying they're going "up" to Los Angeles. Just doesn't compute. I live at 38 degrees N latitude, and my DiL's hometown--Kristiansand--is at 58. Oslo's more north than that, so, yeah, most places are "down" to Norway.

I've always envisioned our Nordic forfathers and mothers quaffing mead as well, and the romantic in me was very disappointed to find that modern Norwegians not only don't drink it, but don't even know what it is! I'm glad you're about changing that a bit, Tiwas. My son in Oslo brews, but only beer. Mead takes too long.
:rolleyes:

Tiwas

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 30, 2011
Oslo, Norway
Thing is, I'm pretty sure discovering America was no biggie. The miracle was them finding their way back. If the tales of the Vikings are true, they must've been sh*tfaced most of the time :p

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns