• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

I have a good sword

Barrel Char Wood Products

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Sounds like you have a good instructor too, and that you kept up with your training. That's the hardest part for me. Some days I just don't want to practice at all. We do try to do demonstrations from time to time, though. My favorites are the weapons demos. All we've done so far on stage are a few different demos for staffs. Spears, swords, and knives present their own difficulties on stage. Someone is going to get stabbed...

For Aikido, yeah, I have some really great instructors and the whole dojo is awesome, we've got some ludicrous number of black belts around so there are at least half a dozen who teach regular weekly classes and half a dozen more who will take over should someone not be able to teach their class. In Aikido we tend to do all our weapons work with jo, tanto and boken, so you might split some knuckles (I have) or get some bruises but usually nobody has to go to hospital if someone screws up, you're more likely to injure something if someone screws up a barehanded throw...

In European broadblade, we wear helms and armour and use padded weapons except for demos, and we don't generally spar full speed with the metal blades when we do bring them out, so we get some really spectacular bruises but so far nobody's had to go to hospital from that class either. So far. :)

I was shopping for a kilt a while back. Those things are expensive as hell! I think I might just go to the antique shops downtown and buy an old uniform. Kilts are often part of the uniform, and they're usually well insulated. Living in Alberta I like anything that's warm.

Real tartan kilt? Yeah, not cheap, we looked at that for one of our groomsmen at our wedding, but he opted instead for a good blazer, figured he'd get more use out of that... I totally want to get one of those utilikilts myself though. I don't mind wearing skirts but I needs me my pocketses!

Tiwas

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 30, 2011
Oslo, Norway
As a younger man I would never have thought of wearing a kilt. Now that I'm not quite so young I think it would be so cool. My grandfather wore a kilt and played the bagpipes in the town parade. Never got to see him, as he died when I was rather young.

I wish I could find my true clan plaid.

Just don't do the mistake of wearing underwear under it.

Kind of cool to think of that the term "going commando" is from the Scottish commandos simply refused to wear underwear :D

Tiwas

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 30, 2011
Oslo, Norway

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Not for long, as your "outie" becomes an "innie"... :eek:

...and if/when I should obtain my utilikilt, I shall not be going regimental. I am WAY too likely to flash something inappropriate when wearing something that short, I am not a good wearer of skirts at the best of times, nevermind when it's gear you should be able to be active in... wore a short black leather skirt to university once and made the mistake of sitting in an old comfy saggy sofa... had to be reminded by a friend that perhaps the flowered undies hadn't been my best wardrobe choice that day... ;D

And during my Iaido class today, my sensei put his shinken (sharp practice sword) through his saia (sheath)... always funny when you're using a metal iaito and your instructor has a wooden boken...

Tiwas

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 30, 2011
Oslo, Norway
And during my Iaido class today, my sensei put his shinken () through his saia ()... always funny when you're using a metal iaito and your instructor has a wooden boken...

I fixed that up for you. Now it's a lot more interesting reading for those of us without a clue what those things are. I have a pretty good mental image of it, though, and I'm disgusted that you'd write something like that! ;D

hehe

Gespacho

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 26, 2011
Calgary AB Canada
If and when I get a kilt I'll have to avoid going regimental myself. I already embarrass my fiance enough in public and the temptation might be too great. :cool: With or without a kilt, though, I'm really looking foreward to training outside again. I just can't do much weapons training in the winter, as I live in a 2 bedroom apartment, and I've already had to replace one light fixture that had an unfortunate accident. ;D We've had a longer winter than usual this year and I need to get outside just as soon as it stops snowing.

And you're right Tiwas, that actually does sound kind of disturbing...

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
I'd love to have a good kilt, I'm red-enough to pull it off even though I'm not actually the ethnicity for it (close though). I want a black and grey one though, since I don't have a family tartan I get to pick whatever I want!

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
My son's is the US Marine tartan, although since he's Irish and his last name is part of clan McCian. I guess he could wear one of their tartans.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
If I went for a tartan it'd be the Stewart. As opposed to Stuart. Paternal grandmother was a British Isles mix...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns