• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

MCI 2011 Entrants

Barrel Char Wood Products

mmclean

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jul 22, 2010
Tennessee Valley
Just wanted to wish all who entered the MCI, Good Luck!

Going to drive up to the mountains and spend the day at the river with the family.

Cheers.

:eek:ccasion14:

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
MCI was awesome!! Congrats to all the winners (announced tomorrow!). The number of meads I have tried in my life increased by about a factor of 100 over this weekend. During the judging & paired dinner I know I had about 60 commercial meads on Friday. During judging I had about 25 homemade meads on Saturday. And oh my I have no idea how many I tried after that. I think it's better if no one tries to count those.

It was great to meet the folks who could make it. I really enjoyed getting a chance to judge alongside Pete, Wayne, and Ken. Vicky is awesome. Alan was a great roommate and brought some nice meads to try, and Kyle only spilled on me once. :p Talking with the commercial meadmakers was also a lot of fun, and having them try my mead is a rare treat.

Non-competition mead highlights included trying some meads I've read about here, like Wayne's Filleul de la Nuit, two versions of the Braggo-docio (Wayne and Alan), Ken's Heart of Darkness, and the side-by-side Wayne's Wolf Moon vs. Dogfish's Chateau Jiahu [Wolf Moon wins!]. Pete's mesquite mead was great.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Some pictures:

The judging starts out looking fairly calm...
DSCN1105.jpg

But too many good meads leads to chaos.
DSCN1108.jpg

DSCN1111.jpg

Lonely bottles waiting for people to drink them.

And finally:
DSCN1110.jpg

Why Aaron should not be allowed to own spray foam. It only took me 20 minutes to disassemble. And no bottles broke! I can't stress that enough.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
It was an amazing weekend for sure, far exceeded my expectations. I'm going to have to start my own thread about my experience because I don't think some people fully grasp what an amazing thing gotmead.com and the Mazer Cup really are. We are seriously lucky as a community to have this website, and I don't think I exaggerate when I say that gotmead is almost certainly the single most important wheel in the machine of the mead revolution.

EDIT: And when you look at that last picture Aaron posted (remembering that he's an engineer) try to put yourself in my shoes seeing that as he opened the box, because the first night we got there we had a good long discussion about how engineers tend to over-engineer everything... point proven!

But indeed, none of them broke!!! :)

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Sounds like it was awesome!! I may actually consider getting a passport...

...(and am I the only one looking at the spray foam, considering that electronics and other delicates often come packed like that, and thinking, "Why didn't I think of that? Now, how do we make it so it won't take 20 min to open...?")

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
To those of you Gotmeaders who were able to come to the event and help out - THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

The Mazer Cup could not happen without your help, and I am both extremely grateful and in absolute awe over how quickly those folks who were not involved in previous years picked up several of the 20-odd dozen balls we have to juggle to pull off the event, and kept them all in the air! Nice work, one and all!!

BTW - Results should be posted sometime today, according to Oskaar, so stay tuned to the MCI website where soon all will be revealed! I can say that Gotmead Brewmasters were well represented in the cadre of mazer winners! ;D

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake
WOW!

Thanks for posting the photos. Those meads look gorgeous!
I may come and volunteer next year, if it coincides with the AAHPM meeting in Denver...Anybody know next year's dates?

And CG, get thee to the passport office!

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake
Not final yet (pending checking the schedule against other events in that timeframe), but we're tentatively looking at weekends in the range of late Feb to early March.

Shucks, that doesn't go with my AAHPM plan...
I may just have to make two trips to Denver...

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
EDIT: And when you look at that last picture Aaron posted (remembering that he's an engineer) try to put yourself in my shoes seeing that as he opened the box, because the first night we got there we had a good long discussion about how engineers tend to over-engineer everything... point proven!

But indeed, none of them broke!!! :)

Yes, well, that is true. In my defense, it was my first foray into spray foam. I'm just glad I thought to wrap the bottles so the foam wasn't permanently attached.

In my research I did see a system for making those bags of foam that perfectly shape around whatever you ship. Too expensive for a one-off box of mead though.

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
Aaron, a bit of a hint if you use foam again...spray the foam over a thin but sturdy cord, wrapped around the bottom of the bottles and up the sides with the ends sticking out the top. You should be able to pull the string down through the foam and pull the bottle out fairly easily.

Of course, if you drive, you can bring all you want, no worries. Try to make the next one over a holiday weekend--spring break, I could drive. Summer, I could drive. Christmas, I could drive. :)

Noe Palacios

Aristaeus' Apprentice
GotMead Patron
Yes, well, that is true. In my defense, it was my first foray into spray foam. I'm just glad I thought to wrap the bottles so the foam wasn't permanently attached.

In my research I did see a system for making those bags of foam that perfectly shape around whatever you ship. Too expensive for a one-off box of mead though.

You just gave me a good idea for the next year, because foam is better than the big heavy wood box that dhl obliged me to use.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
The way I've seen foaming done is to spray it in a plastic bag and then smosh the bag of foam around the items you're packaging so it doesn't adhere to the items, if I try it for the group brew, I might put toilet paper tubes over the bottle necks just so it comes off easily.

mmclean

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jul 22, 2010
Tennessee Valley
The way I've seen foaming done is to spray it in a plastic bag and then smosh the bag of foam around the items you're packaging so it doesn't adhere to the items, if I try it for the group brew, I might put toilet paper tubes over the bottle necks just so it comes off easily.

Good idea AJ, I may try that next year. :)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns