Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher kel Tath View Post
    see, thats the thing, the corks were being pushed out seconds after being bottled, not just overnight, and the worse ones were the ones slightly more filled than the others, that's why I'm assuming it's simply the air in the headspace being compressed, and pushing out the wet cork.
    Dude, you've got secondary going on, and a lot of people pointing it out in very polite ways. Your mead was in the process of degassing and still fermenting when you were bottling which is why you had an immediate push out of the corks. Handling, racking and bottle filling all agitate the mead enough to cause significant enough off-gassing to push out your corks almost immediately.

Remember that sorbate and sulfite additions are not a completely sure fire way to stop fermentation which is why commercial meaderies and wineries use filtration, cold stabilization or extended racking and aging to ensure a complete cessation of fermentation.

Save yourself some grief and get them out of the bottles and back under airlock, especially if you plan to give any as gifts or send any to friends. Last thing in the world you want is to have one blow up in a friends face, in transit or in your face.

Cheers, and please take heed of the advice given here,

Oskaar
    Is it tasty . . . precious?

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher kel Tath View Post
    1. What was the original gravity?
    2. What was the final gravity?
    3. What was the recipe?
      3.5lbs honey, 3 gallons of water, 1 dozen blood oranges
    4. What yeast did you use?
      D-47
    5. What is the ABV based on start/finish gravity?
      13% (+/-)
    6. Did your yeast reach Alcohol morbidity level before it gave up?
      within 1 percent
    7. What was your fermentation management regimen/process?
      aerate twice a day and 1.5g of nutrient per aeration for 4 days (1/3rd)
    8. How did you stabilize?
      2 teaspoon Sorbate and enough K-meta for 300ppm
    9. Did you stabilize?
      Yes.

Quiet possible that it's just Air pressure too, first time I bottled in a wine bottle, it kinda...exploded(I overfilled), so this time was very nervous about that not happening.
    I don't see a start and end date, or a elapsed timeline from onset of fermentation to bottle, can you post that up please?

I totally doubt this is just air pressure dude. I understand your nervousness about that, but this is pretty much a result of continued fermentation in the bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Oskaar View Post
    I don't see a start and end date, or a elapsed timeline from onset of fermentation to bottle, can you post that up please?

I totally doubt this is just air pressure dude. I understand your nervousness about that, but this is pretty much a result of continued fermentation in the bottle.
    What was the original gravity?
    What was the final gravity?
    What was the recipe?
    3.5lbs honey, 3 gallons of water, 1 dozen blood oranges

How can the OG be 1.109 with only using 3.5 pounds of honey and 3 gallons of water? Maybe the 1 dozoen oranges, WOW will the oranges make it go that hight?

Roger
    Primary: Welches Grape Wine
    Primary: Blackberry Melomel
    Primary: Joe Mattioli's Foolproof Ancient Orange

i miss read my brewlog, which is made worse because I built the damn sheet.

10lbs of honey/ 3.5gallons of water
    Accumulate as much knowledge as you can about something, and the rest will come through practice.

Brewlog V3 for all your logging needs.

If you started at 1.109 and are now at 1.021 you've only reached about 11.4% ABV which is well shy of the advertised 14% that D47 will tolerate.

It's also been my experience that D47 will go well above 14% ABV (I reach 16% with my cherry cyser on a regular basis) so your ABV tolerance has not been reached with this mead using D47.

That time-line would be helpful because it sure seems that this mead is very young and was bottle prematurely.

Best of luck and give us that timeline dude

Oskaar

it sat for 1 month in bucket, and 3 months waiting, I pulled it out to sample it and it tasted excellent, thus bottling it. Seeing as no more corks have moved since recorking the ones I was having problems with. I'm still more inclined to believe that it was air pressure pushing them out, but waiting a couple days and gonna pull a sample out of a bottle and confirm it.
    Accumulate as much knowledge as you can about something, and the rest will come through practice.

Brewlog V3 for all your logging needs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12