• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Origins of life

Barrel Char Wood Products

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
My statement about being envious... tone doesn't come across in written word so well... for me it's the same "wouldn't that be nice if I could do that too?" kind of feeling when I see people doing things that I could never do due to physical, mental, emotional, financial or societal limitations. Nothing I'd ever lose sleep over. I got used to never being the best at anything, and I settle instead for trying things most don't think of. Like making mead :)

Two things... you can do that too and I hope that you eventually will. Secondly, I always take solace in a particular Bible verse that talks about how God uses fools to shame the wisdom of the wise and the weak to shame the strength of the strong. Those that are strong and wise will tend to take credit for everything they have done so God uses the weak and foolish to prove a point. (Not that you are a fool... *grin*) Bottom line, God loves you exactly the way you are, worts and all...

That said, I actually did something very similar to that when I was questioning things at a turning point in my life about 15 years ago. I gave it an honest try. It really wasn't for me. And if I tried it now I'd feel ... wrong for me, like when I have to sit through a Catholic church service... It's just not there. And honestly, I'm genuinely OK with not knowing. I don't need to know. and I don't think this is a case of sour grapes either (sorry, picked up Aesop's fables the other day;)), I really am at peace with who and what I am and where I stand in the world, and if that's all I get, I'm fine with that, I'm making the most of it while I'm here, not working myself to death like my dad did. If I accidentally collected enough doobie points to go somewhere when I'm done, great. If not, well, at least I like to think I'll leave the world a little better than I found it.

The organized church has some things that I just disagree with and one of them comes into play very heavily in this discussion. In your trying to find faith, it is a PERSONAL relationship between YOU AND JESUS, not one that is in any way moderated in or through ANY church. You do not need a priest or church membership or anything associated with any particular denomination to become a Believer. Unfortunately, IMHO, certain denominations focus on the relationship of the person to the church instead of the relationship of the person to God. The thief on the cross was not baptized. The thief on the cross did not take communion. The thief on the cross did not do confession. And yet that thief is already with Jesus in His eternal kingdom...

I pray that any church, any denomination, does not provide a stumbling block to those trying to find faith and yet a part of me knows (and mourns) the fact that they do. The veil in the temple was torn in two. You can talk to God one-to-one. And forgive me again, but you do not need to talk to Mary or the saints or dead relatives. Why talk to customer service when you can talk to the president of the company directly?

My brother kept trying to urge me to let Jesus help, my response was "No, send him to the people who can't do without. If I need him he'll find me." And it wasn't just to get him to stop trying to convert me either, if there is in fact a Jesus who helps people through troubled times, then he SHOULD be helping those who can't do it themselves, not wasting his time on me when I'll manage. It'd feel like wasting the doctor's time for a Band-Aid on a boo-boo when there are people behind me who need limbs reattached. I guess that sounds a little arrogant "I don't need Jesus, I can do it by myself!" or maybe even immature like the little kid who doesn't want Mommy's help and maybe I'll eat crow on my deathbed or if I find something that I can't get through on my own, but I am also pretty honest about 'fessing up to my mistakes and changing my beliefs based upon new information. And I'm OK with being in a position of "wait and see".

A supportive family is a luxury a lot of people do not enjoy these days. Be thankful. SO who do you thank? *smile*

I am pretty sure the quality of your mead will improve over time. Maybe God will use that time to draw you nearer in a way that makes you recognize that your boo-boo is life threatening?

Last edited:

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
A supportive family is a luxury a lot of people do not enjoy these days. Be thankful. SO who do you thank? *smile*

<grin> Why, I thank them! I'm never shy to tell my husband how awesome it is to have him to help me through stuff. Although I find helping support my family (friends too) when they're in need just as personally fulfilling as being helped when I need.

I am pretty sure the quality of your mead will improve over time. Maybe God will use that time to draw you nearer in a way that makes you recognize that your boo-boo is life threatening?

I dunno, I've always been pretty honest with myself, and although I still get worked up over things, my hubby's great for bringing that into focus too ("Is anyone dead? Do you still have all your fingers and toes? Then how bad can it be?"), and yeah, sometimes it is really bad (we've worked through a couple deaths in my family now), and I'm not afraid to ask for help when I need it, I've made a study of my shortcomings and have a lot of workarounds in place but sometimes you just need help. On the other hand, sometimes a boo-boo is just a boo-boo and I'm not the type to go hollering for help unless I need it. Crying wolf, and all that. (Jeez, I've gotta stop with the fables!! ;D

And regarding hoes? I think the context is important :D

Honey

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 31, 2012
Re the origins of life -

If one sees the origin as a creative force that virtually "destroyed" itself in the act of creation and all beings in the universe as a "spark" of this originating act, then in the "universe" of a brew (an ecosystem) the yeast is the god - the living spark who in creating the new universe through fermentation destroys its own self by what it creates.

But perhaps that's me being a little too weird for someone who has "egg" under their name, lol... Gotta love "Horton Hears a Who"

Honey

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Gotta love a forum where we can have a discussion of this nature without anyone getting offended or banned. Seriously, this place rocks. I have proof. ;D

Honey

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 31, 2012
Last night we watched How Beer Saved the World. Informative and funny, beer is the reason behind the pyramids, writing, math, American Revolution, on and on. :)

Well if altered states of mind are condusive to artistic inspiration, and if inspiration comes from the gods... lol. The spark of fire in man could well be fanned by a little beer (or mead!)...

Honey

Loadnabox

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2011
Ohio
I've actually equated beer brewing to Mormonism in the past.

(In Mormonism) It isn't that there are multiple Gods for us, our God is the person that created us and our existence. Sure there are Gods of other worlds, but they didn't create us so they're not our Gods.

There are many fermentation buckets. If we put the yeast into one bucket we would be the creator of that bucket (MUWA HAHAHAHAHAHA! I am the God of my own little bucket of brew!.... man that goes to your head fast!) but just because there's other fermentation buckets out there doesn't make their brewers the God of my bucket or vice versa!

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
If everyone in the world quaffed a couple of glasses of mead before making philosophical arguments, it would probably be a more peaceful place. ;D

Although I'm pretty sure it wouldn't do anything good for spelling and grammar, which are often quite bad enough when folks haven't been drinking ;D

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns