Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Etowah Meadery!

Default fermentation slow ?

Hello everyone,

As a beekeeper, I just started making mead on 14 april. And now the fermentation seems rather slow so I would like to compare. How fast or slow should it go? In the beginning it was 1 bubble every 5 seconds and now it is 1 bubble every 8 minutes.
    And also this: if it is rather slow, can I do something about it?
    Last edited by aquavives; 05-16-2011 at 03:23 AM. Reason: wrong timing
    LiveUniteCreate
    PeopleInhabitNowTheEternalNaturalState

Recipe: 7,5 kg heath (or heather) honey
    added water until 21 liter
    1 smackpack wyeast dry
    1 heaped teaspoon wyeast nutrient blend
    LiveUniteCreate

bubbles, i assume you mean airlock bubbles?
    if so they are really for show and not an accurate indicator of whats happening.
    you need to take hydrometer readings and record the changes.

i don't know that nutrient blend but i would guess not enough by a long way. that will slow things down and can make bad tastes.
    also what temp as that can make a big difference.

Welcome to Got Mead!

I'm with tweak'e.
    A hydrometer is your friend.Your yeasties may be running out of energy, may need some feeding, or may be done with their work. They've been working for a month.
    Making Mead With TLC since 2010

A hydrometer, I think I have one. I found this thing that measures the density if you let it float, and I put some of the stuff in a bottle and I read 990.
    Does that give usefull information?
    Temperature is always about 20 C.
    I also tasted and it has much alcohol, good taste. I smels and tastes like the heath honey I made it with.
    Last edited by aquavives; 05-16-2011 at 10:05 AM. Reason: more info
    LiveUniteCreate

Yes, very useful! If your airlock activity slows and stops when you're above 1.000 (specific gravity of water), that usually indicates that your fermentation has stuck before it finished.

If your must is at .990, the reason the airlock activity is slowing is because there's no more sugar for your yeast to eat, they've converted it all to alcohol so they're no longer producing carbon dioxide, which is what causes the airlock to bubble. However, it will probably continue to bubble slowly for a little while because there's going to be some CO2 trapped in the wine that will slowly come out.

Good job, your first mead is done fermenting! Now you can rack it off the lees and keep it under airlock until it clears and you can bottle it!

Next batch you make, if you check the specific gravity before you add yeast, you will be able to calculate how much alcohol is in your finished mead.

I highly recommend checking out the NewBee Guide (look up and to the left in the yellow rectangle), it'll give you the basics of fermentation.

And welcome to the addiction!

"The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014

Thanks a lot everyone,
    This is a great help. I started with this batch before I discovered Gotmead, I will surely read the newbee section completely before I make more...
    LiveUniteCreate