Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ZwolfUpir View Post
    Polished off the first bottle of my first batch of JAOv also my first batch of mead I even maid, with my wifey. Sounds like a lot, but we each only got a swig out of it.
    A BIG swig?
    Making Mead With TLC since 2010

Sadly no... It was little more than half a mouth full, but a "swig" sounded better than a "big sip"...

So older daughter ran her Half, and since it was along the route of a bunch of wineries, part of her swag was a wine glass. Eschewing the wine tasting available, we got back to her apartment and christened her glass with a beer bottle's worth of my Red, White, and Blue, slightly carbonated and completely awesome. You don't get honey until the very end as it's the last thing that lingers on your tongue. I'm happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by wildoates View Post
    So older daughter ran her Half, and since it was along the route of a bunch of wineries, part of her swag was a wine glass. Eschewing the wine tasting available, we got back to her apartment and christened her glass with a beer bottle's worth of my Red, White, and Blue, slightly carbonated and completely awesome. You don't get honey until the very end as it's the last thing that lingers on your tongue. I'm happy with it.
    Congratulations
    and Congratulations Again!

None of my D&D group drink, so I'm about to raise a glass of Blackberry JAO now that I'm home again!
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Chevette Girl View Post
    None of my D&D group drink, so I'm about to raise a glass of Blackberry JAO now that I'm home again!
    HA! That's anti-stereotypical, those folks are generally a bunch of metalheads that drink till they drop!
    ~AToE (A Thing of Eternity... it's a nerd thing...)

AKA: Alan H

Quote Originally Posted by AToE View Post
    HA! That's anti-stereotypical, those folks are generally a bunch of metalheads that drink till they drop!
    Maybe ten years ago, but in the Saturday group, we're almost all all mid to late thirties now, two diabetics in the group, two on antidepressants that don't mix well with alcohol, one gets migraines or allergic reactions from most forms of alcohol now, I don't drink if I drive and prefer not to fall asleep during combat, one doesn't drink at all now after too many ... er, "incidents", and the two in their twenties don't drink at all for their own reasons. <shrug> we're weirdos among weirdos, what can I say. And the Friday night group drinks beer sometimes, when we remember to throw some in the fridge, or mead when I remeber to bring glasses down to the dungeon

And the blackberry JAO was great, as expected
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014

*misses gaming...*

I popped open the first bottle of my latest JAO lsat night. All the flavors were surprisingly subtle, it was a delicate drink. At least, when it was chilled. I had been wanting to see how it would taste when hot, as a winter drink. The transformation was amazing. It gained so much life and energy, as if the heat had awakened it. And it gained a wonderful spicy burn that really complimented it. This was definitely a mead meant for the winter months.

We had a good group that showed up at Dan's (I'll try to get some pictures to post in the near future). About 25-30 people showed up during the day.

30 gallons of mead was made and we had a large selection to try from.

Several bottles of commercial mead showed up,

Dan had the mead that he had made with the same recipe from 2008-2009-2010 also a nice black walnut, and a nice Pyment.

Shawn showed up with some of his chocolate mead.

Niel brought 3 bottles ranging from simi sweet to very sweet.

I brought the following

Lemon Ginger, Chocolate, JAO, Blueberry, Blackberry, Pineapple and Lime and a low alcohol (3% or so) raspberry vanilla.

A good time was had by all.

Cheers
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
    ...I wanna hang out with JayH >.>
    Me too.

If any of you ever get to the Los Angeles area let me know.

Cheers
    Jay

Black Walnut?
    Sounds interesting...is there a brewlog?

No, I didn't make it, but I can tell you generically how Dan did.

He took some two year old traditional mead he had made and soaked a jar of black walnut leaves in it for several months. If you are interested I can ask about quantity and duration.

I know that he bought the leaves from someone on the internet and I believe they were the eastern black walnut, however I've been thinking of making some for my Southern California run of meads as there is a black walnut that is native to this area and I can find groves of it in the local hills.

Quote Originally Posted by JayH View Post
    He took some two year old traditional mead he had made and soaked a jar of black walnut leaves in it for several months. If you are interested I can ask about quantity and duration.
    He used leaves, not walnuts themselves? Interesting...say more about that...

16. Default

I made a big Barleywine style Braggot on Friday night, does that count?

When is it this year?

Should always be the first Saturday of August.

Aug 4th, 2012 : http://www.homebrewersassociation.or...vents/mead-day
    Bees stole my signature file!

Well then, seeing as none of my friends / family are interested in making mead, I'll probably just go ahead and make some myself.

Scratch that, my father-in-law might be interested in making some...
    I like my beer black, my mead clear, my daughter good, and my wife bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinetti View Post
    Well then, seeing as none of my friends / family are interested in making mead, I'll probably just go ahead and make some myself.

Scratch that, my father-in-law might be interested in making some...
    So I need to make sure at least one bottle of my JAOM I have brewing now lives till then. and I need to start a full 5 gallon batch that day. (I'm sure I will have started another batch before then)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast