Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!

Thread: How clear

Default How clear

do you get your mead? This is how clear my mead is after 6 months, no clearing agents

I pretty much can see through my mead (i.e. read something through the other side) for the most part. From that photo it looks rather cloudy still. Maybe time to use some fining product?
    Making Mead since 2009. Brewing since 2008

That's definitely not clear at all yet, unless it's a bad picture or there's a whole lot of condensation on the glass fogging it up. A single glass of mead made with no fruit will be clear like a glass of white wine once it's cleared.

I've had meads take well over a year to clear though, so nothing's necessarily wrong.
    ~AToE (A Thing of Eternity... it's a nerd thing...)

AKA: Alan H

If I shine my MagLight through the side of the carboy, and I can see the beam, it isnt clear yet.

In a traditional I'm able to read the finer print on a business card through an entire carboy's worth of mead - I should have said that instead of the wine comparison!

will heat affect how long it takes to clear? i'm in the deep south and our heat has been in the triple digits outside and 75-80 in the house (power bill is currently at $260... i can only imagine what it would be with a cooler temp)....

Not that I'm aware of, but it's not something I know a whole lot about honestly.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by calicojack View Post
    will heat affect how long it takes to clear? i'm in the deep south and our heat has been in the triple digits outside and 75-80 in the house (power bill is currently at $260... i can only imagine what it would be with a cooler temp)....
    Its been about the same in my house for the last couple of months and I've had a JAO and a Melomel both clearing at a pretty good rate... however I have a Metheglyn that seems to be taking much longer... (tho they are all still rather young yet) Whats in your mead?

I have a very dark raspberry JAO that has cleared wonderfully in this constant triple digit Texas heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    Its been about the same in my house for the last couple of months and I've had a JAO and a Melomel both clearing at a pretty good rate... however I have a Metheglyn that seems to be taking much longer... (tho they are all still rather young yet) Whats in your mead?
    i've got a hibiscus, apfelwien, and blueberry trying to clear