• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Need help with Cyser, Fast

Barrel Char Wood Products

Bluedog

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 7, 2010
Hey folks, I'm making a Cyser tonight, bought 5 gal. of cider, then saw it has ascorbic acid, will this still work? It's Musselmans brand. Please advise.:)

jazzman831

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 25, 2011
Ascorbic acid is just vitamin C. It's naturally found in many fruits and won't do anything to your fermentation. What you are probably thinking of is sulfites, which are a preservative (thereby limiting yeast growth and production).

Bluedog

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 7, 2010
Thanks guys, I finished the 6 gallon batch last night and pitched 2 packs of Lalvin EC1118, hydrated for 15 min. at about 7:00am MST, I'm seeing very little activity so far, I figured 2 packs of EC1118 would be going nuts by now???. I used 4 gal. cider, 15lbs clover, 1lb dark brown suger, 1tbsp nutrient and 2 packs boiled bread yeast along with various spices. OG was 1.130-1.140(depending on if my finger was steadying hydrometer). Hope I have a good ferment.:) Does Lalvin take a while to get started?

P.S. I airated the heck out of must with a hand-held blender.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Usually it would be going by now, but it's not something to stress about. I''d just aerate it some more, maybe give it some more nutrients. I've seen lags as short as 1 hour and as long as 1.5 days, sometimes it's hard to say why (temp shock between the rehydation liquid and the must seems to be a main culprit).

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, the yeasties will get to it in their own time... I haven't had lags as short as AToE reports but I do have the odd pitch that takes two days to get going.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns