• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

8 Funky New Ways to Package Wine

Barrel Char Wood Products

Soyala_Amaya

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2011
Missouri
I've had several meads in the ceramic bottles (Dansk Mjod I believe) but those prefilled glasses just look nifty!

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I have a couple of ceramic flip-tops from a local craft beer and they kind of creep me out because I just have to trust that I scrubbed them well enough and didn't leave any scunge inside...

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Spot on there Dan. An excellent link.

The only downside being, that most of it needs some serious machinery and the only one of the types shown in the article that's available to us home brewing types is "bag in a box"

It's such a pain that the suppliers don't want or aren't seemingly interested in providing small quantities......

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
That's really cool. I've also seen PET plastic wine bottles which I think are a good concept. I particularly like the pre-filled glasses. That is a great idea, and a wonderful way to allow people to be introduced to a new drink without having to make the investment of purchasing a whole bottle. The mead industry might find some serious benefit from something like that.

Of course, it would be even cooler to make a pre-filled PET mead horn! ;D

Loadnabox

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2011
Ohio
I first saw those pre-filled wine plastics on an episode of "Shark Tank" on ABC.

The inventor has patented the method and machinery, though the sharks derided his brew as cheap wine. Strangely he didn't get a deal on it, but I think the concept has a lot of applications in situations where an opening an entire bottle isn't cost effective for a vendor.

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
<snip>
situations where an opening an entire bottle isn't cost effective for a vendor.

Yeah, this is why I have collected 180ml, 330ml, 567ml, 750ml and 1500ml bottles, and attempt to used a balance of each for every brew. I hate to waste mead, and I hate to 'have' to drink it, just cos it's open, especially if you're driving home.

WRT Bag in a box, there's a manufacturer here in Aus, I mentioned it some months ago, but they wont supply less than 150bags @ $3 ea. Thes bags are 15 and 30 litres.
I thought they'd be great for aging, but with such an outlay, I'm reticent to try them. I have a datasheet, but was unable to find somebody to tell me they'd be perfect, so have abandonned the idea :-(
I would have to make boxes for them, as this company doesn't make the boxes, but I can make timber crates easily enough.

http://www.scholle.com/ is the company if anybody's interested.
They don't supply to any resellers either, and wouldn't give me the names of any winery's I could 'hit up' and were unable to advise on the viability for long term storage :-(

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
I always wished wine was sold in 1 litre and 500 ml bottles instead of 750ml and 375ml... just seems like more appropriate amounts to me...

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I always wished wine was sold in 1 litre and 500 ml bottles instead of 750ml and 375ml... just seems like more appropriate amounts to me...

...and nice round numbers to make the math for "how many bottles do I need for this batch?" easier :p

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
Skunky, it depends on how you feel. A mate and I polished off a magnum together the other night, but my FIL and I only shared a pint.
I often share a 330 as a sampler, you get two decent glasses from that. I use the 180 exclusively as a taster, or a personal bottle if it's ginger beer or something.
AToE, I have no use for a litre bottle, but absolutely love and prize my pint bottles. They're so practical. With the variety I have, it's like coins, I can make almost any desired volume from smaller bottles ;-) to within half a glass anyhow.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Pint bottles (proper pints, so 500ml on the dot pretty much) are my favourite too, I just find 750ml to be too small, but yes I could always just bring 2 of the pints!

Soyala_Amaya

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2011
Missouri
I've got about 4 cases 22 ounce bottles, which I guess is around 660 ml? I got a ton of them used for 5.50 a case at my LHBS because they were off size. I find it to be a really good for two people size if we're drinking, or my personal horn is about 20 ounces so it fits really well for any time I want to pass it around!

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Our pints are 568 ml
We feel we get shafted by 500ml bottles ;-)

Huh, I just looked this up and so are ours! Weird, I really thought they were 500ml (my bottles that claim to be 500ml seem to fill a pint glass perfectly... maybe those pint glasses are off...), but this does explain why our pints always seemed so much bigger than US pints to me, 473ml to 500ml isn't much difference, but to 568ml that definitely sounds more right to me.

Weird. Maybe I should measure my pint glasses right now...

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Ok, I measured them and they're apparently complete nonsense. They have a line drawn on them that claims to be 20 oz, but when I look up how many ml that is I get 591 ml... which is even bigger than an imperial pint is supposed to be. (Maybe they were using some kind of non-US fluid oz??)

But then I used measuring cups to fill it and to fill it up to the line took roughly 495ml... which isn't a pint in anyone's book, it's some odd middleground.

Weird. Anyways, it's a good serving amount of beer I find!

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake
Back in the day:
1pint=2cups=16oz=~480ml
At least that's how I remember it from home economics class...

OH! And Happy Freedom From Tobacco Day, Alan!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns