Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!

Default Which category for a capiscumel?

Should a hot pepper mead be entered in metheglin, melomel, or "other", for the Mazer Cup?

Good question. Since peppers are technically fruit, melomel makes sense. But since they don't taste like many other fruits, I'd be more inclined to enter it in the "other" category.

I don't know how appropriate metheglin is, since there aren't any spices in a pure capiscumel; just spicy flavors. But again, I think you'd get the best results in the "other" category.

Hopefully a senior member/organizer for the Mazer Cup can chime in with more insight.
    Find what you like, and hone it to perfection.

And don't serve dodgy mead!

26C. Open Category Mead

Any specialty or experimental mead using additional sources of fermentables (e.g., maple syrup, molasses, brown sugar, or agave nectar), additional ingredients (e.g., vegetables, liquors, smoke, etc.), alternative processes (e.g., icing, oak-aging) or other unusual ingredient, process, or technique would also be appropriate in this category. No mead can be "out of style" for this category unless it fits into another existing mead category.

I think it fits here.
    “Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!”

slàinte mhath

From my own experiences in entering capiscumels in competions, judging can be difficult. I'd entered a Chipotle mead in the AHA Nationals and the Indy International Wine Competition and did well -- Silver medal in the Indy, first in AHA Regional. The comments were very positive, good honey flavor and aroma, nice balance, ect. Then it went from the Regionals to the Nationals and did poorly -- the judges marked it down, couldn't taste the honey, too hot!

Judging a capiscumel can be something not that far from judging at chile competitions, you have to have the palate to appreciate the use and blending of the peppers and other ingredients, and be able to handle the heat!

--
    <><><><><><><><><><>
    <><><><><><><><>
    Dan McFeeley

"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
    (The people's spirit is raised through culture)

You may enter your mead in either the 26C Open Category Mead, or 26A Metheglin category.

Hope that helps, and best of luck!
    Is it tasty . . . precious?

Thanks! I'm going with "open category." Maybe metheglin next time.

A side note: GotMead is amazing! I visit daily. Since I started in '09 the quantity of daily posts across the forum has exploded! Lots of interesting people, tons of excellent advice.

Thanks again!