Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!

Default Just some thoughts on my 6 gallon batch, looking for some second opinions

Greetings!

About 2 months I got some great feedback from everybody regarding some concerns I had on my 6 gallon batch of mead. Today I racked it again, it's 3 months in and it seems to be doing pretty well. It does still appear to be rather gassy, but it has cleared a bit and I had a taste today just to see how it's developing. I will say that it's quite a bit more dry than I was expecting--not super dry, but not really that sweet either. I've considered back sweetening later on, but I also want to give it a fair chance to develop, so I'm still undecided about it. Thoughts?

Looking back, I think I might have been just a bit over-ambitious in making a 6 gallon batch for my very first batch. Since then I've scaled it down to trying my hand at some 1 gallon batches, and have been quite pleased so far with my results. One batch of JAOM is so close to ready, most of the fruit has dropped, and I have a JAOM blackberry variant that is looking great too.

Hope everyone is having a fine afternoon!

(If it matters at this point or anyone is curious, here is the recipe I used for the 6 gallon batch.)

4 gallons of spring water
    2 packets of Lalvin 71 B-1122 yeast
    15 lbs. of dutch gold orange blossom honey
    1/2 teaspon each of yeast energizer and yeast nutrient

Id suggest letting it bulk age for about a year and then decide on back sweetening and how much. The flavor of the mead will improve and change a lot in that time so this will give you a better perspective. I think if you back sweeten to taste with a young mead, you may end up with something too sweet a year down the road since a lot of the off flavors you tried to mask with sweetness will have aged out by then. That's my .02 anyhow. Good luck!
    The Key of Joy is disobedience

My thoughts? Let it age before you make any decisions about backsweetening
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014