Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!

Thread: Help...

Default Help...

Ok, I racked my first melomel today, it was fermented with Lavlin D-47. Please tell me the yeasty smell will go away or if I screwed up in some way and how to fix it.

Here are the basics:

Starting gravity - 1.134
    Finished gravity - 1.019 (sits between 1.018 and 1.020)

Recipe -

17.5 lbs of Orange Blossom Honey
    Lavlin D-47
    SNS
    3.1 lbs of apricot puree
    enough spring water to fill 5 gallon pail which was then transferred immediately to a 6.5g Better bottle

Started on October 4, 2012
    First racking off lees October 28, 2012

If you need any other info feel free to ask.

Rosie

The yeasty smell should go away when it's all done and settled out.
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Chevette Girl View Post
    The yeasty smell should go away when it's all done and settled out.
    Ahhhh, thank you. My husband walked past me this morning racking it and all he could say was...."That SH*T reeks!!" So encouraging...LOL

Rosie

<shrug> So do babies. I'm told they get better with age
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by WyldWytch View Post
    Ahhhh, thank you. My husband walked past me this morning racking it and all he could say was...."That SH*T reeks!!" So encouraging...LOL

Rosie
    Yes... My partner's never been that supportive either. I think the best response to a tasting was: "it's not as disgusting as usual. "
    I shouldn't expect the smell to be that bad though. Nevertheless, see if it smells after its cleared. I had a lot of sulphur in a Ginger Beer once, it was feral, you could smell it from 3 yards away.
    There are mechanisms for removing excessive odours and volatiles if need be, but it's too early ATM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevette Girl View Post
    <shrug> So do babies. I'm told they get better with age
    Unlike husbands?
    Mae'r teithiau golau ceffyl eto

Quote Originally Posted by kudapucat View Post
    Yes... My partner's never been that supportive either. I think the best response to a tasting was: "it's not as disgusting as usual. "
    Yeah, mine leaves the room when I rack a fresh batch, hates the smell... although I do at least get useful info from him at tastings sometimes, even if he calls sour things bitter

Quote Originally Posted by kudapucat View Post
    Unlike husbands?
    _I_ didn't say it