• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Traditional Swampwater Mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I generally stabilize a week or two before I bottle, unless I have concerns about a batch. Which means sometimes I get distracted and leave stuff in the carboy for years too. As long as the airlock doesn't go dry, usually I have no problems with oxidation...

Glad you finally got this bottled, glad it's tasty!!

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
I've tasted other peoples stuff that sat with no headspace in a glass carboy sealed with wax for a few years and was left sealed since the day they locked it up and it still oxidizes. That's why I start SO2 management right from the very start personally

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
That's totally fair. It's possible I don't taste oxidation in my own stuff because I'm pretty lax about SO2 management and maybe everything's a bit oxidized... I'll have to haul out some of my own stuff next time I need something to drink on Gotmead Live for a critical tasting.

I have no way of testing for SO2 at the moment and I am pretty sure I prefer the sherry-like taste of oxidation to the taste of too much sulphite, and fortunately I get the sherry-like character when an airlock goes dry (yes I'm a bad example), rather than the wet cardboard oxidation I might get if fruit flies get their dirty little feet into things...

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
So not to be mean here my friend. I tatsed your plywood mead at Mazer and it was so bad I had to hide my glass until I could pour it out. So maybe you don't taste it because you have gotten used to it. :)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns