Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!
  1. Default 'gunk' in the Primary Ferment

Hello All,
    I'm new to mead making, and have noticed something in one of my first batches that I'm not sure what to think of. I'm doing the gallon-jug balloon method, and decided to start with the absolute basic honey/water/yeast batch, as well as one with an orange and some raisins added. They all seem to be fermenting fine, but the one with the orange and raisins has some, well, gunk at the top. It's stuck to the plastic near the opening, not floating. It's not there on the 'plain' mead, even though I prepared them in the exact same way.

Has anyone else experienced this? should I be concerned?

No surprise there..... you get all sorts of strange looking scummy deposits, quite often.

The batch with fruit, is effectively a completely different science experiment isn't it, with a while batch of different compounds.

So I certainly wouldn't worry....... just let it do its thing.
    here's me home brewing blog (if anyones interested....)
    and don't forget
    What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away! Tom Waits.....

3. Default

Thanks for the second opinion! I still wonder why it only happened on the one with the fruit addition. Maybe the extra nutrients made the yeast more active, bubbling up and leaving the gunk?

I always get scunge above the waterline with my Joe's Ancient Orange batches, don't sweat it
    "The main ingredient needed is 'time' followed closely by 'patience'." - The Bishop 2013
    "When you consider that laziness and procrastination are the fundamentals of great mead, it is a miracle that the mazer cup happens." Medsen Fey, 2014
    "Sure it can be done. I've never heard of it, but I do things I've never heard if all the time. That is the beauty of being a brewer!" - Loveofrose, 2014
    "I tend to....um, er, experiment, and go outside the box. Sometimes outside the whole department store." - Ebonhawk, 2014